Help with the pond that came with our house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all- very new to both the forum and ponds. We basically moved into our house a month ago and with it came a pond which the past owner kept koi in. They obviously took the Koi and most of the equipment but have left a handful of bits- so now we’re a bit more settled we’re trying to work out what it is that’s been left and whether it is still usable of whether we need to replace before we can look to get our own fish (probably just a few koi but I know from this forum they do need a lot of filtration, etc.). I’ve spent quite a bit now reading up on ponds and slowly piecing things together but where we’re trying to work around the existing equipment (don’t want to throw it if it’s worth keeping) we’re having a bit of trouble so would really appreciate any help.

So the pond is around 5.25 metres x 2.3 metres, depth I’ve now misplaced the measurement but think was about a metre giving a total of 13,000 litres.

IMG_2309.jpeg

Connected by some pipes is then three boxes which I believe are box filters.

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2185.jpeg

One pipe comes off of these into our shed where I believe was/ should be an external pump. And then another pipes leads off to this box:

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

But I’m really not sure what this is. When I look it just appears to be a box of water. Can anyone enlighten me? This then has a further pipe that goes under our concrete so not sure where that goes.

I know probably hard to tell from photos but any thoughts on whether we’d be better keeping this and just buying the pump and any other bits and any recommendations on these would be much appreciated. I’ve looked into pressurised filters but I see from the forum that there’s some mixed feelings on these.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum :)

Honestly , if it was me, I'd research filtration and start completely over. Those filters appear to be DIY from totes and not in the best condition.

Again, welcome :)

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Medge. I agree with Tula, looks like those might be a homemade version of these https://www.water-garden.co.uk/cat/filters/flow-through When you look at the price, you understand why some DIY. I have also seen a small company market filters years ago that did not look a whole lot different than your standard tote.

The compartments serve to precipitate and remove solids as well as providing room for bio media. If you can incorporate a bog filter somewhere near the pond, you will have a filter that excels at controlling green water algae as well; which standard filters do not, without using UV.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are many filters on your side of the pond that use those i belive they are skippy filters. its a settling area / the bucket of water/ that is then ran through sponges and even brushes bio balls or lava rock and net bags. not anythging i have used i get the jist but thats more a filter your side of the pond uses

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hi Medge, and welcome!

That pond looks like it could be fixed up into something really amazing. It looks like that last box feeds into the pond by means of the pipe/s near the shed/greenhouse. I agree with @Tula that you may be better off starting over with the filters.

For now, you could buy a simple submersible pump to get the water moving, just to prevent mosquitoes and such. That would also jump-start the pond ecology. To keep the pump from getting clogged, raise it off the pond bottom using an up-turned milk crate or something. Run the water through a bucket of river rock on the edge of your pond as a simple filter while you set up something more permanent.

For setting up some filtration, check out the videos on YouTube by OzPonds. He's got a ton of instructional videos for building everything to DIY tote filters to upflow wetland filters.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all for the kind welcomes and messages- all really helpful. Sounds like a plan- we’ll look to get rid of the current equipment and start from afresh. Just didn’t want to waste something that still had good life left in it but the more we look the more knackered it looks.

Had looked into a bog filter as I’ve seen such positive things about them but we’re currently not looking to do anything structural to the pond and don’t really have the space around the pond to do it next to it (it’s pretty much been built as a perfect square on one level between things). So maybe something for the future but not for now unfortunately.

Ask a Question