Help! Pond plants not thriving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi all, I’m wondering what is the best method for planting my marginals. I only have a few, one variegated, sweet flag and two pickerel rush. I transferred them from their pots bare root into pea gravel (see picture) but not only are they not showing any growth but most of the stocks of the pickerel rushes are bending and breaking and the sweet flag isn’t fairing much better. My pond is quite shady and I know that’s not ideal but these plants were supposed to do ok in part shade. Do you think my pond is too shady for anything to do well? (Pond pic taken this morning at 10 am )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8528.jpeg
    IMG_8528.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 41

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi all, I’m wondering what is the best method for planting my marginals. I only have a few, one variegated, sweet flag and two pickerel rush. I transferred them from their pots bare root into pea gravel (see picture) but not only are they not showing any growth but most of the stocks of the pickerel rushes are bending and breaking and the sweet flag isn’t fairing much better. My pond is quite shady and I know that’s not ideal but these plants were supposed to do ok in part shade. Do you think my pond is too shady for anything to do well? (Pond pic taken this morning at 10 am )
Maybe they are just suffering from transplant shock? My Sweet Flag did quite well in the shade in a big pot in my pond. It grew so big I had to take it out and it weighed a ton! Think the Pickerel Rush needs some sun tho and you said it gets some so should do ok, maybe.

IMG_6208.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with @j.w about transplant shock! I have found that most plants (even the ones in the ground) are going to go through a period of adjustment, and sometimes it can take a full season for them to show progress. For some reason, my pond plants seem to take more time to adjust than my regular plants :rolleyes:. Be patient with them and see how they do in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Maybe they are just suffering from transplant shock? My Sweet Flag did quite well in the shade in a big pot in my pond. It grew so big I had to take it out and it weighed a ton! Think the Pickerel Rush needs some sun tho and you said it gets some so should do ok, maybe.

View attachment 159566
Thanks for the reply. Do you think maybe I should have left them to grow in the pots with actual soil for a longer period before putting them in the naked in the pea gravel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I agree with @j.w about transplant shock! I have found that most plants (even the ones in the ground) are going to go through a period of adjustment, and sometimes it can take a full season for them to show progress. For some reason, my pond plants seem to take more time to adjust than my regular plants :rolleyes:. Be patient with them and see how they do in the spring.
Thanks for that, do you think I should replant them into pots with soil again or just leave them in the pea gravel?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Do you think maybe I should have left them to grow in the pots with actual soil for a longer period before putting them in the naked in the pea gravel
Too late now, just let them grow where they are now and hope for the best. If you move them again they are gonna be really mad at you :cool:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
TOO MUCH shade sorry to say not many pond plants like shade, marsh marigolds , viiolets but they are a very shallow water , hostas impatence elephant ear

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nòooooooooo.
Seriously look at hosts. Impatience and marsh marigolds. There are a host of tropicals that Love wet feet but the bodies have to be out of the water and in dappled sun . But in your area I'd guess you'd need to bring them in in the winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
African Violetta here in CT do well in sun or shade but like muddy areas not water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Nòooooooooo.
Seriously look at hosts. Impatience and marsh marigolds. There are a host of tropicals that Love wet feet but the bodies have to be out of the water and in dappled sun . But in your area I'd guess you'd need to bring them in in the winter
Yea, which I won’t do. I have no room to bring them in. A couple of years ago I transplanted 5 hosta from the side of my house (another shady area, to the around the pond and they never came back. I’m trying to stay away from Tropicana because I’m tired of spending more money every year to replace them. I have a few Lily pads that are doing ok though they won’t flower of course but at least they’re not dying. Maybe I’ll just go dig up some local stuff that’s gritting in a similar environment

Ask a Question