Heres another road to disaster..FB Pond group

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like Koi Keepers of North America on FB. There are files you can review for factual information and there are quite a few experienced koi keepers in the group.

For example, tonight someone asked if there was a way to lower the amount of pressure on their new aerator and someone posted a great picture of a T release.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like Koi Keepers of North America on FB. There are files you can review for factual information and there are quite a few experienced koi keepers in the group.

For example, tonight someone asked if there was a way to lower the amount of pressure on their new aerator and someone posted a great picture of a T release.
I’ll have to check them out! Already a member….

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh boy. I always hope that people are using the term "koi pond" generically - like "Kleenex for any kind of facial tissue - and really mean "garden pond with nice small goldfish". Sadly we know that's rarely the case. It's like posting a photo of your bathtub and announcing "I'm planning to get a whale for a pet and this will be it's home... any suggestion?
Just a hypothetically because I keep only goldfish, but what is the minimum gallons and depth for the smallest healthy koi pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just a hypothetically because I keep only goldfish, but what is the minimum gallons and depth for the smallest healthy koi pond?
generally, you should have 1000 gallons (for one) and 250-500 gallons for each additional. A lot has to do with how much filtration you're going to employ.

Depth; I like to aim for 24" minimum but we've had recent reports of koi doing fine in 18" of water. Depends sometimes on where the pond is, geographically re weather and such, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The local koi shop here has stopped selling all filters and promote strictly bogs now. I might have had a little to do with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The local koi shop here has stopped selling all filters and promote strictly bogs now. I might have had a little to do with that.

Interesting. Most serious koi keepers I’ve talked to are appalled by the idea of a bog. They really don’t like them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Good one!
It's nice to see people coming to their senses.

Funny thing is.....with all the 'climate this' and 'climate that' going on, you'd think people would want something natural.... like a bog. Instead, they buy ginormous filters and UV lights that most likely produce a poop load of pollution in their manufacturing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Interesting. Most serious koi keepers I’ve talked to are appalled by the idea of a bog. They really don’t like them.

I think there are people who get stuck in the rut they've always lived in and others who are always looking to improve their thinking. Koi people are no different. Some of them love the tinkering as much as they do the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Raising my hand for tinkering! Love placing cultures around the pond. Coming up with log falls Log island. And pitcher plant island

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Raising my hand for tinkering! Love placing cultures around the pond. Coming up with log falls Log island. And pitcher plant island

Your tinkering is legendary... and gorgeous! You aren't stuck in some filtration/pump/settlement tank shed messing with media and what not.

Ask a Question