Heres another road to disaster..FB Pond group

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Per a pond volume calculator, this pond will be roughly 720 gallons….. So wrong on many counts. And yes, I did invite the OP to join us.

F8697110-3F79-40D6-B505-2796329B3D2C.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh boy. I always hope that people are using the term "koi pond" generically - like "Kleenex for any kind of facial tissue - and really mean "garden pond with nice small goldfish". Sadly we know that's rarely the case. It's like posting a photo of your bathtub and announcing "I'm planning to get a whale for a pet and this will be it's home... any suggestions?"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh boy. I always hope that people are using the term "koi pond" generically - like "Kleenex for any kind of facial tissue - and really mean "garden pond with nice small goldfish". Sadly we know that's rarely the case. It's like posting a photo of your bathtub and announcing "I'm planning to get a whale for a pet and this will be it's home... any suggestions?"
Funny analogy, but sadly true.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would suggest they build it much bigger as it sure looks like there is more room to do it! If not than Shubunkin goldfish are quite pretty and look similar to koi only smaller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do, but get no response.
wow; I think this may be even more sad. Do you post your stuff on this same page(s)? I bet if they could see yours and listen to your advice/instruction, maybe a dialog could happen and when you DO suggest solutions/GPF invites, they'll be more curious, at least.

It's a bit like my experience re turning vegan; you can talk until you're blue in the face, but ultimately, it's up to the 'listener' to investigate the veracity of the info being given. And usually, they need a physical reason. In this case, I suppose it means they do their plan, fail, then hopefully remember YOUR advice and on the second build, pay more attention to those that warned them they might fail doing it their way.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@brokensword The main problem between a FB group and a forum like GPF is that on the FB group, there is no back and forth. No exchange of ideas. No interaction. No follow-up. Usually, WYSIWYG……. And, unless you “save” a post, there’s no way to get back to it (unless you can recall the member’s name…..) in the future. I don’t think it’s a good set-up (FB platform) for addressing problems, but it’s fine for showcasing ponds. In a nutshell, THERE IS LITTLE EDUCATIONAL VALUE, just a jumble of confusion. I feel sorry for the newbies who haven’t done their homework in the first place and have no idea about pond chemistry and bio-interaction.

Personally, I don’t post in these groups, but will occasionally answer a question. In this case, I commented that the pond “might be too small” and recommended GPF or KOIPHEN. Many others commented that the pond was going to be too shallow (it will be), but no one addressed the overall size and relationship between depth and surface area….. Based on this single post, I see a lot of questions that need to be asked of this poster.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@brokensword The main problem between a FB group and a forum like GPF is that on the FB group, there is no back and forth. No exchange of ideas. No interaction. No follow-up. Usually, WYSIWYG……. And, unless you “save” a post, there’s no way to get back to it (unless you can recall the member’s name…..) in the future. I don’t think it’s a good set-up (FB platform) for addressing problems, but it’s fine for showcasing ponds. In a nutshell, THERE IS LITTLE EDUCATIONAL VALUE, just a jumble of confusion. I feel sorry for the newbies who haven’t done their homework in the first place and have no idea about pond chemistry and bio-interaction.

Personally, I don’t post in these groups, but will occasionally answer a question. In this case, I commented that the pond “might be too small” and recommended GPF or KOIPHEN. Many others commented that the pond was going to be too shallow (it will be), but no one addressed the overall size and relationship between depth and surface area….. Based on this single post, I see a lot of questions that need to be asked of this poster.
Hi can you address the relationship between depth and surface area for us please? Just trying to educate myself on the subject. I'm sure it'll help others too. Thanks in advance!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi can you address the relationship between depth and surface area for us please? Just trying to educate myself on the subject. I'm sure it'll help others too. Thanks in advance!
Basically, surface area is the most important aspect of total volume. This is where gas exchange takes place, so you want a large percentage of surface area to volume. I’m sure there is a formula for this. Think of an aquarium: a 20 gallon “long” tank has more surface area than a 20 gallon “tall“ tank. Same volume of water, but in the “long” tank, you have more area for gas exchange to take place. Hope this helps.

in fact, @Mayank, why don’t you start a separate topic on this? It is an excellent question! My answer will get lost in here, which really won’t help anyone searching for that info.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And here’s yet another one….. In this person’s video, I saw at LEAST 3 koi swimming around with the goldfish, and all the fish were packed in as tight as sardines. I only recommended test water to assure good water quality. That poor goldfish isn’t going to make it — totally swimming upside down and bloated like a puffer fish:cry:. Notice, 500 gallon pond:cry:
A957A7E8-D0F0-4130-BF3E-9AB652353E61.jpegF0A75511-75A6-401E-BAB2-7736099E5200.jpeg

Ask a Question