Hi from Carlsbad CA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
GBBUDD has a good point...I have two waterfalls and I cannot hear a thing if we are sitting trying to have a conversation at the pond. I always have to say "What? I can't hear you, the falls" LOL Definitely give it a lot of thought....I actually had them lowered because they were REALLY loud before and I felt as though I was living in a water park...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Help me spend money correctly!

Well, I pulled the construction trigger! Removed the falls, pond and liner. I then pulled a couple of trees and extended the retaining wall to frame the pond a little differently.

In the new version I'd like to overcome a couple of areas for improvement. There are prevailing winds all the time that push towards the back right side (where the shrub is at in the picture). I think two smaller skimmers in the front left & right corners will help pull the surface clean. Second is that the bottom could have been cleaner with a TPR return, thinking a couple of those.

Next is Savio vs Atlantic vs AquaScape. I am receiving a few bids and they are all over the place in price and offerings. Seems like some of the contractors are almost salesman for only one brand versus giving me a good, better, best approach! Figured I'd ask the group. I was thinking of two Savio compact skimmers with the 8.5" face plate in each corner, CSW085. Then for the fall use a 16" Savio fall with filter, F070.

Rock Sides / Bottom vs Smooth Sides / Bottom. Two schools of thought here - which is right for a small Koi pond? Previously it was a smooth side / bottom, which stayed clean and the water was clear. Some builders are suggesting all of the sides inside of the water should have rocks where others are saying the sides and bottom don't have to have rocks! Both schools of thought agree the top edge should have rock, at least there is some alignment!

Estimated new pond size:
Width: ~11 feet
Length: ~9 feet
Depth: 4 feet
Fall Height: ~4-5 feet

My wife and I are excited and looking forward to having our pond back in service.

Thanks
Lake

IMG_9275.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fall 4-5 ' Is your plan to have a water fall drop over the retaining wall?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have a lot to work with but a steep slope and a steep drop means extra work and precautions in water splash or you will loose a lot of water. I would almost lean toward taking out the end of the retaining wall and replacing with some boulders have the water come down in that depression between the retaining wall and the fence but placing some THIN boulder looking rocks there. Have the water dump into the pond on the left side to where one of your return jets is pushing to the right of the photo and a second is pushing to the right but also toward the back where you can then place your skimmer. I would also look at the helix skimmer THEY HAVE A triple deep basket for leaf collecting. and the use a matala pad for a filter

Ask a Question