Hi!

Reaction score
I just started my first pond after thinking about it and planning for about 3 years. I've been kind of learning as I go along but I've reached a point where I don't think i want to continue without getting some good advice. It's time to purchase liner/skimmer/pump and I'm guessing this is the most critical stage.

Attachments

• 257305_2048301216583_1516039176_2227881_3561057_o.jpg
    257305_2048301216583_1516039176_2227881_3561057_o.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 211

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome220.gif
damian
Looks like you got a nice start going on there w/ your new dig :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard, Looks good from all I see and have read so far, sounds like you have been doing a lot of pre-reading, I like hearing that! Going to be a really nice pond!
1st question i have to ask, what kind of fish are you planning on keeping? this can make a huge difference on what you may want to use for filter. Liner, use a underlayment, I don't care if it's a commercial grade, sand and carpet padding, old carpet, just use someting, You'll be glad you did. go with 45 mil EPDM liner. More flexible, last longer, virtually puncture proof, far better liner than PVC, Not the cheapest but in the long run a good liner for the money. Skimmer and Pump, So many options, explore the options and pro's and cons. My advice, go with proven brands of produccts over cheap inexpensive ones. This doesn't mean they are the most expensive this means they work and last. IMO, I would rather pay twice the price and fix it half as much. LOL You'll get some good advice here, just take the time to make sure what you choose fits what you want to accomplish in the pond. In other words, don't build a goldfish pond and expect to keep a bunch of full grown Koi. There is a difference in fish load and basic needs.

Reaction score
I haven't put a lot of thought into the fish yet. i know i want fish, but i'm not sure what kind. i am leaning against a full blown koi pond because it sounds like that is a bit more high maintenance than i want (though part of me just wants to plan and equip for it just in case).

as far as liner goes, most research seems to point to 45 mil epdm, so i've settled on that. for skimmer it looks like a large savio seems to be the way to go.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
excellent choice, Little pricey but I have the compact version on my 2500 gallon and honestly, I love it! If you do decide on it read the instructions two or three times before attempting to install.
Two tips I should have done, 1-Make sure that the top is in place and snapped in before back filling dirt around it! Very important step I over looked! lol I would even go as far as to fill it with water and DO NOT PACK DIRT AROUND! Layer it in and allow it to settle on it's own. 2- consider a bottom drain, seriously, that size pond a bottom drain will make your life so much better,
Also, Change out the pre-filter media ASAP to green matala, FAR easier to clean, holds up better, and honestly I think it traps more solids better.
If your thinking about going Koi, plan your filter for Koi, I would far rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I don't think I have ever heard of having too much filter, just hear far to often not enough IMO, stay with goldfish for the first year then decide if you want to add koi, goldfish don't grow as big, or as fast, or put off as much waste. they are far hardier fish to start a pond off with than Koi, and you can get some seriously beautiful goldfish if you shop around and in Most cases are not as expensive as koi, although some can get a little pricey for rare varieties and rare color combinations. If you choose goldfish or small koi be sure and look at putting a guard on the skimmer to help keep fish out of it. savio is nice in that small fish can freely swim in and out of it unlike many other on the market, But a large fish can get caught and with it being a new build that's a easy to add and cheap modification that can save a fish in the future.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

welcomebirdsvg.gif

What area are you from? How deep is your pond going to be? It looks very nice so far, the hole that is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Damian, Welcome! If you want something that is easy to maintain then I would go the route of watergarden /goldfish pond. Goldfish do not grow as big, but come in all types of varieties and have interesting personalities. The other day when mine where spawning you could just see a big splash of color with all the fish chasing each other for hours and hours. Also you can mix frogs and plants with them and they will all do just fine. I love your backyard. It looks more like a park!

Reaction score
Here are some views where you can actually see the the surroundings of the pond

Attachments

• 2139.jpg
    2139.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 2147.jpg
    2147.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 2159.jpg
    2159.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 2155.jpg
    2155.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
my dogs, and the jerks that eat my plants!

Attachments

• 2150.jpg
    2150.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 2166.jpg
    2166.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 2167.jpg
    2167.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 2168.jpg
    2168.jpg