j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess we are lucky here in the PNW as our temps are really nice and mild w/ a little warmer temps thrown in now and then. I love it but you all w/ those high heats take care and don't overwork yourselves. One good thing about the high heat is Haro won't be running around outside wreaking havoc hither and yon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
HARO said:
These days I mostly just SHUFFLE hither and yon! And the havoc isn't what it used to be either. :disappointed_anim:
John
Haro I know what you mean my knees are shot I've lost both kneecaps no I have arthris and was diagnosed as having fybromyalgia which is a type of ME.
So gone are my days of hiking, swimming, surfcanoeing, cycling, weight lifting , hill walking , rowing and sailing at 56 I have to admit I'm no longer 20 lol.
Shuffle on my man but when you get passed by an old age Pensioner in their 70's its very disconcerting so shuffle away my friend shuffle away . :D

rgrds

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Now, even though the fish's metabolism is higher in warmer temperatures, this does not mean it is required for you to significantly increase the feeding regiment. Since I lift weights twice a day and run a few miles in the morning, does this mean I should eat a steak with every meal?? It just doesn't make sense. Fish will be fine with normal or even lower feeding at higher temperatures and this is what I am advised to do by the other more avid hobbyists than I.
I think that when it is hotter one does need to be careful to ensure fish are getting what they need. Some people feed every other or every 3rd day. In hot weather that could well be thin picking for the fish.

You example is not all that good. Do you recall how farmers used to eat 4 meals a day plus lunches during harvest. they needed the calories and so do the fish.

Still I would caution about overfeeding because it is extra important to maintain good water quality as the water temperature rises.

Reaction score
I've been in central FL for 12 years, and in that time we've never had summer weather this cool. It's July and feels like an unusually wet May. May is the worst month of the year since it's typically summer-hot and winter dry. This May had simply perfect weather. We expect a high in the mid 90s every day in the summer, but I've been comfortably outdoors at midday recently.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been taking readings at least once or twice a day for the last few weeks the ponds are holding steady between 90-93 F (32-34 C) give or take a little for conversion. I've gone from feeding three-four heavy feedings of 3% body weight to 4-5 feedings at 1% body weight. The herds look hungry all the time but for now I'll just let them stay hungry and feed small feedings to maintain weight. being as far south as we are I have plenty of time later in the fall for bulking up again. On a good note I finally got all my drain lines run so now I can run both ponds with a full 10gph flow through to each pond. Next project is to get the sieve and tower filter installed on the Koi only pond. Was hoping to have the tower filter installed by the time the temps got this warm but of course nothing goes exactly as planned.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
dieselplower said:
A bit off topic but Charles I assume you know that if you want to receive maximum benifit of working out twice a dag and running too, you DO need to take in additional calories and maintain a QUALITY diet if you want to see maximum gains. One of my best frieds, who has been winning body building shows for his class and sometimes overall as well, did not make his gains without a significant increase of quality and quantity of his diet. The same could be said for people who are looking to grow big healthy fish.
HTH said:
I think that when it is hotter one does need to be careful to ensure fish are getting what they need. Some people feed every other or every 3rd day. In hot weather that could well be thin picking for the fish.

You example is not all that good. Do you recall how farmers used to eat 4 meals a day plus lunches during harvest. they needed the calories and so do the fish.

Still I would caution about overfeeding because it is extra important to maintain good water quality as the water temperature rises.

Yep, I am familiar with the mentions of farmers increasing their calorie intake, but this does not suggest they gorged them self 4 meals a day "just because" they could eat it.

Obviously, if you want the fish to thrive, then they will be fed appropriately. However, it is quite false to suggest a higher feeding regiment in warm water is required for them to be fine enough to survive.

Maintaining excellent water quality is far more important than how much food the fish is receiving. If excellent water quality can be maintained in hot water temperatures, then, by all means, I would encourage significantly increasing the feed regiment.

I appreciate the clarification since there does need to be a notice on the difference between thriving and surviving.

Ask a Question