Looking for a resonably priced high water level detector

MHL

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a koi pond where the pond is automatically filled from city water and the water level is controlled via a float valve. This all worked well for a long time until the recently when the float valve failed and the pond overflowed overnight. I'm looking for a wireless high-water level detector, preferable one that can notify me via an email or text, and, if possible, costs less than $100. Obviously it has to be able to be used outdoors. Does such a device exist?

MHL

Reaction score
Country
United States
"add an overflow to your pond"

I'm not sure what you mean. My pond does have an overflow pipe but the overflowing water is directed to the ground surrounding the pond, which doesn't help me to detect when the water is overflowing, except when I visually see it which could be a day or two after it starts.

Reaction score
"add an overflow to your pond"

I'm not sure what you mean. My pond does have an overflow pipe but the overflowing water is directed to the ground surrounding the pond, which doesn't help me to detect when the water is overflowing, except when I visually see it which could be a day or two after it starts.
If that's the case then just add a slow drip line to your pond and your water level will be perfect all the time. (y)

Reaction score
Your objective is to maintain the water level in your pond, correct?
Well, any type of automatic float valve mechanism is prone to malfunction. The simplest way to maintain the water level in your pond is to have a constant trickle of water into your pond and have an overflow outlet at the precise level you want your pond's water level to be.
If it rains the water flows out of the overflow and the water level remains constant, the same thing happens if you add a constant drip line to your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My pond does have an overflow pipe

Ah! That's exactly what I meant - but ideally you wouldn't be flooding your yard. Can you redirect the overflow?

And sorry - I know I'm not answering your original question, but it just feels like a high tech answer for a low tech problem.

MHL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah! That's exactly what I meant - but ideally you wouldn't be flooding your yard. Can you redirect the overflow?

And sorry - I know I'm not answering your original question, but it just feels like a high tech answer for a low tech problem.
Thanks but while redirecting would fix the symptoms of the problem, I need to prevent the problem because in California where I live, water is quite expensive and so I don't want to unnecessarily waste it.

MHL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your objective is to maintain the water level in your pond, correct?
Well, any type of automatic float valve mechanism is prone to malfunction. The simplest way to maintain the water level in your pond is to have a constant trickle of water into your pond and have an overflow outlet at the precise level you want your pond's water level to be.
If it rains the water flows out of the overflow and the water level remains constant, the same thing happens if you add a constant drip line to your pond.
I understand, but in order to compensate for changes in temperature wouldn't I have to be regularly, manually, adjusting the flow? And when the water gets too high I would still waste water even though it would no doubt be less than when I have a problem now.

Reaction score
Go to a place where they sell irrigation supplies, the fittings, and a drip emitter , they shouldn't cost you much more than $10. Drip emitters are fairly good at self-regulating at a constant drip rate and you can get them at a variety of drip rates. The smaller the pond the lower the drip rate, the bigger the pond .....
If you see any benefit to doing regular water changes then the water won't be wasted, especially if you can direct the overflow to some plants that like to have their feet wet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
water is quite expensive and so I don't want to unnecessarily waste it.

Totally get it - and cost aside, no need to waste water in any case. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Hey! I know! How about installing a video camera? Then you could watch the water level AND watch the pond remotely!

I know... I'm a genius!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have never needed a cutoff system, so I’m not experienced in this. Would a toilet fill system work? For an aesthetic feel you can create a housing over the top. It doesn’t have to be tall. You might need to clean it occasionally. These systems height adjust too so you can set the pond full level. It might fit in a skimmer, since they fit in the toilet reservoir. They work at standard water pressure levels too.

Ask a Question