How Bizarre

Reaction score
I had been on vacation for a few days two weeks ago. Last night I went out the pond to "say hello" and the first thing that struck me was...."where did that fish come from". I have a total of 12 fish, 3 shubunkin, 1 comet gf and 8 koi. I'm well aware of all of the fish, their markings, and their behaiviors.
This one koi has a distinctive orange dot on his nose, and now he's the 13th fish in the pond. He's not an offspring because he's about 6-7" in length. Two possibilities: the landscaper got him from someone who was giving Koi away, or my pet sitter did it. Either way....He/she is mine now.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Take a photo and post it. In the meantime ask who did it. The danger is not knowing where it came from and not quarantining it to protect your fish from disease.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How weird, maybe the fish just knew you had a beautiful pond and wanted to come and see you.....
Post a picture would be neat to see, ask the people that took care of things for you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lucky 13 you never know he could have liked your pond better and just decided to join your pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha I just posted in another thread that if you build it they will come. We were talking about how critters find your new pond and just move in. I stated wouldn't it be nice if big fat beautiful fish just wandered in and now look it has happened to you Pete :razz:

Reaction score
...Or maybe it wiggled out of a Heron's beak and happened to land right in my pond. LOL

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
We had a shubunkin live, without our knowledge, in the skimmer for a year after we built the pond. It went missing when when we first put the fish in, and we figured it died under a rock or something got it. I found it the next summer while replacing the filter. I felt it swish past my hand, but couldn't see it until I pulled the entire thing apart. It was double the size of the previous summer, and no worse for the wear. It fell right in with the other fish as though nothing had happened!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are tough fish! In my az pond we would suck some up in the bottom drain, would find them in the leaf basket. They would last for a while, but with the suction had to get to them pretty quick.

Ask a Question