Murky stagnant pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have what I expect you'd call a wildlife pond - dimensions 14 ft long x 8ft wide x 3ft deep (on average). There's no drainage or any way for the water to circulate/refresh

It's not possible to connect electric pumps.aerators and so on to it

After my Blagdon Liberty solar-powered pump failed, I suspect it's too big for solar pumps to make much of a difference

What would your advice be on treatment to keep the water clean and clear? I put some blanketweed treatment in a week or so ago and that seems to have helped, but is there anything else you'd suggest?

An alternative solar-powered pump or surface skimmer?

Lots of straw bales?

Underwater oxegenating plants?

Or is anything else even necessary?

Look forward to any advice

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What is the location of the pond-full sun, shade? Assuming lots of sun since you are having algae problems? Lots of nutrients such as dead algae and vegetation in the pond can fuel further algae blooms.

Any pictures? Might give us a better idea. Any fish or just whatever wildlife finds it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's half in sun, half in shade. More or less sun depending on the time of day

Yes, I think lots of rotting leaves and gunk at the bottom, which I'd kept because I thought the newts might enjoy it

I'll post some pics tomorrow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LINER ? FISH? THERE ARE SOLAR PUMPS I FOUND ONE THAT DOES 1600 GPH BUT ONLY RUNS WHEN THE SUN SHINES THERE VERSION WITH A BATTERY ONLY DOES LIKE 800 GPH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No fish, but newts breed there every year!

It has a rubber liner

Ask a Question