How do you fight back the temptation to buy new koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
same problem with me but im picky , i haven't bought any koi since last 2 years thats called patience :p , what we can do is rehome the older koi which are very similar or not our favorite as they grow some develop not in a way we wanted so we can replace them and buy new ones of different variety . i have 2 very similar sanke butterfly i can giveaway one of them , ihve pair of similar yellow ones , i can giveaway one of them later on and so on .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
same problem with me but im picky , i haven't bought any koi since last 2 years thats called patience :p , what we can do is rehome the older koi which are very similar or not our favorite as they grow some develop not in a way we wanted so we can replace them and buy new ones of different variety . i have 2 very similar sanke butterfly i can giveaway one of them , ihve pair of similar yellow ones , i can giveaway one of them later on and so on .
I'm picky too, but I believe you look for for the quality of the fish, where I just like colors and patterns!
I know nothing about "desired qualities"and when I see videos on show champions I often think I wouldn't want any of them in my pond!
Re-homing is not an easy thing for me, I get attached to my koi and right now I don't have a single one I could part from easily....not to mention I wouldn't know how to catch it!:LOL:
Well, I do have to admit, I'd love to have an ochiba.......some day - LOL !
Fortunally I might have to pass on the Benigoi, cause I read it would probably lose the red in my high ph level pond (like my Sanke did), and an orange Benigoi just wouldn't do.....I still want the Kikokuryu and a GionRin Platinum Ogon I would name "Angel"!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

I've rehomed several koi I purchased and all the koi spawned in my pond I'm down to one I purchased ( ginrin chagoi ) and my three original koi. The three originals are pond mutts, but I'm quite attached to them after 12 years......so it'll be very tough if I purchase a new fish and have to rehome one of my originals....which is probably why I don't have any new fish !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love a loyal fish owner! I know there are people who want a certain look in their pond, but I just want happy, healthy fish. I'm sure they look at me and think "We've seen better looking humans, but she's ours so I guess we'll keep her!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I love a loyal fish owner! I know there are people who want a certain look in their pond, but I just want happy, healthy fish. I'm sure they look at me and think "We've seen better looking humans, but she's ours so I guess we'll keep her!"
lol dsnt matter may b next owner is better and loyal to it anyway fish is happy healthy until some one takes care of it and gives food , u can add new flavor to it too .
true i think all animals deserve same treatment no mater what , so if ur getting a new pet , it deserves ur love same way as an old one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol dsnt matter may b next owner is better and loyal to it anyway fish is happy healthy until some one takes care of it and gives food , u can add new flavor to it too .
true i think all animals deserve same treatment no mater what , so if ur getting a new pet , it deserves ur love same way as an old one
ummmm you're not helping! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The best way not to buy any more fish is try to remember the last time you had too many fish and what problems it caused. For that reason I set a strict number that is acceptable. Once I hit that number I can't buy any new ones unless I lose a fish. Just keep thinking of the number and that will stop you from buying more. My last pond my strict number was 8. I couldn't buy a fish unless it went under that number. The only thing that changed is they had a lot of babies but I did not buy any more fish!

Ask a Question