How do you put pots on an slope?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I plan on using kitty litter also. Where do you find the oil change pans at? Is there a reason I should keep my lillies in the deep end for winter? Right now they're in the shallow end. This is my first year wintering my pond so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Deep and shallow are relative, what is deep for others might be shallow in your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where do you find the oil change pans at? Is there a reason I should keep my lillies in the deep end for winter?
I buy mine at walmart, cheap.

Lilies need to be deep enough that the tuber does not freeze.
Will mine be okay if they freeze solid during winter?
If they freeze they will die.

Reaction score
I plan on using kitty litter also. Where do you find the oil change pans at? Is there a reason I should keep my lillies in the deep end for winter? Right now they're in the shallow end. This is my first year wintering my pond so any advice is greatly appreciated!
You can find them at the dollar store, I'm not sure which one but the one that actually charges a dollar good place to get dish washing pans too. You can also get them at Walmart. Push the lilies into water that won't freeze, the same goes for any marginal plants you may have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When should I pull the plants out of the deep end? I hope I can find them. My water is pretty mucky looking right now. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You lower the lilies to the deeper end when the frost hits and the leaves need to be pruned. Then in spring, you can raise them whenever the threat of ice is gone (they like/grow better/faster in warmer water and where the light is stronger). As noted in my earlier post, I tied heavy trimmer string to my pots so I can easily haul them up and lower them down. As of now (I'm in Michigan too), my lilies are blooming brilliantly due to all this 'summer' heat we seem to have. I would think by mid October, I'll be lowering mine to deeper depths.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You lower the lilies to the deeper end when the frost hits and the leaves need to be pruned.

Oh crud! I may have jumped the gun on this. I cut them all back a few days ago when it was still cool out because they were all decomposing and looked terrible. I figured I would get them out of there before they mucked up the pond too much. They need to be transplanted really bad so they're not growing well at all. Plus I just moved them into my pond from the original owners. I just bought my pond from a friend. I think moving the lillies was hard on them because they all started dying as soon as I got them in my new pond. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about it; the season is almost over and they'll rest until next spring. If there was some sort of 'water adjustment' going on, it'll happen. Leaves often die on me when I get new ones but in time, there'll be more. Just bring your lilies up next spring and put some fertilizer tabs in them before you final place them for summer. Lilies like regular feeding. That's one thing I vow to do better next summer as more than a few of mine didn't bloom well (or at all).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about it; the season is almost over and they'll rest until next spring. If there was some sort of 'water adjustment' going on, it'll happen. Leaves often die on me when I get new ones but in time, there'll be more. Just bring your lilies up next spring and put some fertilizer tabs in them before you final place them for summer. Lilies like regular feeding. That's one thing I vow to do better next summer as more than a few of mine didn't bloom well (or at all).

I'm thinking these have never been fertilized because they are so overgrown. The roots are coming out of the top of the pot. Hopefully reporting them will give them a nice boost too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if they're that overgrown, I'm pretty sure they HAVE been fertilized. Giving them regular fertilizer is supposed to get you more blooms, hence why I mentioned it. They do better when the water warms up so if we have a cooler summer, you tend to see less blooms. When you repot, be careful of the 'growing' end; it'll have eyes that indicate new growth. Any part that isn't showing this can be cut off and thrown away (if I'm wrong, hopefully addy will see and correct me!). The growing 'tip' should be planted above the substrate. You can even cut off roots for the winter as they'll grow new ones next season. Last fall, I was tardy getting to my leaves and many just froze with the ice. Didn't harm my pond mostly because it's covered and there's not any extra organics to add to the decay list. This year, I have a LOT of leaves so I'll be cutting them all back before lowering them to the deep end.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any part that isn't showing this can be cut off and thrown away (if I'm wrong, hopefully addy will see and correct me!). The growing 'tip' should be planted above the substrate.
I chop the heck out of mine when I groom them. Any huge tubers, old roots, etc get purged. The good growing tips get replanted.
Yes potted ones.
I leave all my marginal right where they were growing, potted or non potted ones. They freeze and come back.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I leave all my marginal right where they were growing, potted or non potted ones. They freeze and come back.

Same here, I don't move my marginals around either. They do well enough that they have spread by seed between the rock edging in my pond, didn't try to grow it there but just happened. These plants come back year after year.

Ask a Question