Pond air pumps vs. aquarium air pumps size and output.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am posting this because I received yet another surprise today, the size of my pond air pump (aka aerator) vs. the standard aquarium hobbyist air pump. I literally lol when I saw and then opened the box and thought back to what I originally thought would do the job so here are a few pics of what i was planning to use and what I will be using as a comparison hopefully so others don't make the same mistake I did. Fortunately I can use the aquarium grade items in the aquarium for the plants over the winter.
20180912_200831.jpg
20180912_200928.jpg

I will be using my Ray Charles Pepsi can as a point of reference. But honestly I prefer Coke and only when it is mixed with something.

The diffuser on the left is the 4" diameter and 2" tall ball (should be bell in my opinion) diffuser, well made though, then in the middle was a 2" diameter by 4" tall that I came across while on vacay in Cali at a hydroponics store for 5.00 they can be found online for a little more. This co. just happened to be a wholesaler.
And in the back you can see what to me was a massive air pump compared to what I first bought to get the job done.
20180912_195122.jpg

A side note is that it came with a rake like air splitter to run several air stones, this was not what I had ever seen or intended to use so I changed it. I could have gone with brass or plastic parts the brass to get the same setup was 20.00 vs. The 2.00 for the plastic so if it survives the winter times it stays. The fittings are simply a 1/2" sprinkler pipe tie to a 1/2" female to 1/4" tubing dual drip outlet where I can plug one if I choose. I will likely just tuck it under some rocks and weigh the airstone with some bolts to keep it in place. Now for the funny part; this pic shows what I thought I needed to get some aeration going when the falls and the other pumps are not running.

So thinking the AP60 was going to be around the same size could you imagine my laughter and amazement when I pulled that big boy out of the box lol?
20180912_195841.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one of the pond masters but it was actually a larger version. It came with a stainless steel 12 port connector. What a monster but it did great even pumping good air in my 5+ foot deep pond. Unfortunately, it died on me this summer and the new one is no where as good as it is a different brand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had one of the pond masters but it was actually a larger version. It came with a stainless steel 12 port connector. What a monster but it did great even pumping good air in my 5+ foot deep pond. Unfortunately, it died on me this summer and the new one is no where as good as it is a different brand.
I bet it was a beast, just goes to show how they don't make things like they used to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AP60 connected to a soaked tube. This could work actually.

This one is connected to an aquarium sized disc airstone, this will not get it done.

The cylinder 2"x4" stone is quite adequate.

The ball stone 4x2 opposite of the above and well made.

And in case you still thought your aquarium pump could get it done.

Nope

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I run a PondMax PA40 aeration pump with two 12" air stones all year. We had to install a valve to control the airflow, it was just too powerful at full force.
I plan on using the same PA40 in the new pond even though the pond will be larger I'm thinking this size aeration pump will be sufficient.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The deeper they go the less air you get .I wish I had gone with the bigger laguna aerator but oh well live and learn mine said 5 feet but only sends bubbles from around 3 1/2 feet but I do have 12 air stones on it and you can turn some off if you want to

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here's the video you asked for with the air pump its the maito 120
Nice, thank you for adding this.

I bit the bullet and bought an air valve to control the amount of air the aerator puts out. I also decided to locate it under the walk out deck where I can easily access it. I covered it with a layer of epdm and carpet underlayment to protect it and to quiet it down a little.

20180913_143701.jpg

20180913_144516.jpg

20180913_145829.jpg

10.00 1/4" valve from Home Depot
20180913_173520.jpg

I didnt want to go winter fishing for the airstone so I tied it to a rock and clamped it to the hose, its ugly but you cannot see it lol.
20180913_142921.jpg

Moved it and turn down the flow now the skimmer functions properly again it was pushing water away from the skimmer before.

Ask a Question