How long to quarantine new fish?

Reaction score
A couple days ago I received two new Koi from Hawaii. The seller recommended to guarantine the fish from 14 - 21 days and treat them for potential diseases. Is this realistic or are they just covering their potential liability exposure?

I don't have room for a second holding pond. I put them in the bathtub with a portable filter and aerator. There is not enough water in the pond to keep it clean very long even with the filter so what potential is there if I release the Koi to the pond sooner? The Koi are doing fine and they look good.

Previously new Koi have not been guarantined with no side effects when introduced to the pond.

Thanks,
Bruce

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It only takes once. You can set up a trash can using a liner and airstone for a portable place to quarantine them. Keep a lid on it so they don't jump out. Water changes will be required depending on how karge they are.

A friend who imports from Japan uses "Pond Parasite Guard" when he quarantines his before they are made available for sale in his store.

Reaction score
Dr Dave, thanks - so how many days would you recommend the quarantine? One Koi is 18" and the other is 13".

Bruce

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I qt all my new koi for at least 3 weeks. I think a trash can is a bit small for that size fish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad is right on both counts.

Maybe you want to use 2 trash cans until you can get something else going. Every ponder should have a quarantine area. Wallmart has 75 gallon kiddie ponds for $15. I have one and use it occasionally. I also have 55 gallon drums. When you have a lot of fish you have to be prepared.

That is much better than the trash can idea. I suggest those because in a pinch, most everyone has them and trash bags. You never know when an emergency arrives and something is needed until you can get a better container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My first qt was a 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank and a 55 gallon drum with media in it for a fiter.

Reaction score
I have heard on the forum about using feeder goldfish to get the bacteria started with a new pond. Do you need to quarantine them so as to not contaminate the pond for future fish? (I'll be having goldfish only as my pond is so small)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is always that risk. I have always used them, some folks prefer the chemical bio start method. I bought some once, followed the directions and it didn't seem to work for me. I even tried to double and quadruple the reccommend dose an it still wasn't working. I have little faith in that method. Fish seem to find that natural balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I keep my 700 gallon qt bio going and starting by using non sudsing ammonia that you get at the grocery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I keep a Seachem ammonia alert in the tank at all times. When its yellow I add about 1/4 cup and when it turns yellow again repeat with another 1/4 cup.

Ask a Question