how mutch to use

Reaction score
ive just got some melafix my pond. it is 3 foot deep. 5 foot lenth. and 3 foot width id say about
62.208 Litres. but im not sure. the melafix says 1 tea spoon to every 38 litres but im stuck on how many tea spoons i need to use. and when should i do it when it gets warmer.
tony

Reaction score
what is the reason you've purchased melafix? It's pretty widely known as a witches brew by most ponders. The feeling is that it really does nothing....If you've got good, clean water there's no need to waste your money on things like melafix.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
what is the reason you've purchased melafix? It's pretty widely known as a witches brew by most ponders. The feeling is that it really does nothing....If you've got good, clean water there's no need to waste your money on things like melafix.

wot it was is last year i had my fish in a small pond. and they ended up with ulcers. one has a lip missing but now ive built my bigger pond the water is great. and i was told it would help them heal faster with mealfix. as some have still got healing scars.
tony

Reaction score
forget melafix and use the proper amount of salt or do a salt dip on a particular fish that might have issues. If you've got good water quality, the fish should heal.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
forget melafix and use the proper amount of salt or do a salt dip on a particular fish that might have issues. If you've got good water quality, the fish should heal.

ok i have heard about salt. but not sure how mutch to use or wot kind of salt. there not healing fast at the moment. but is that cos its winter. we had a lot of snow the last few weeks .so its not getting warmer yet. when will they heal when it warms up.
tony

Reaction score
you buy "pond salt" at your local petstore or ponding internet site. Once you have an accurate measurement of your exact gallons of water, you then use the directions and put in the right amount.

Yes, it is very hard to heal a fish in cold/winter waters. And most meds need warmth to work. There are meds that specifically for ulcers if you want to go that route. I personally like QuICK Cure for ponds, because it really works on these types of things. Just a warning that it turns you hands blue if you spill it. And it turns your water blue for a few days (but then goes away). Again, the water should really be warmer to use this or any other product.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pond salt... youll find 1&1/4 cups per 100 gallons is the measure if you have plants the norm..per Organicas package instructions and up to 2&1/2 cups for 100 gallons without plants...now equipped with that information..go to Lowes OR Home Depot and buy Mortons "blue bag" water softener salt.. $5.00 for 40lbs v.s $12.00 for 10 lbs of pond salt.. i keep my ponds both inside and outside salted with these measures, and this salt. once they package something as a pond product the price skyrockets. you also may want to try microbelifts or another antibacterial food for a week or so when temps permit to aid in the treatment.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
pond salt... youll find 1&1/4 cups per 100 gallons is the measure if you have plants the norm..per Organicas package instructions and up to 2&1/2 cups for 100 gallons without plants...now equipped with that information..go to Lowes OR Home Depot and buy Mortons "blue bag" water softener salt.. $5.00 for 40lbs v.s $12.00 for 10 lbs of pond salt.. i keep my ponds both inside and outside salted with these measures, and this salt. once they package something as a pond product the price skyrockets. you also may want to try microbelifts or another antibacterial food for a week or so when temps permit to aid in the treatment.

okk thanks ill try the melafix first as seem as tho ive got it i noticed now the pond is heating up agien 2 of my fish have got cotton wool on there fins but my wate4r is perfect
tony

Reaction score
P040310_1750.jpg

Reaction score
this cotton wool type thing is caused by bacteria and fungus. This fish really needs a salt dip pronto...you need to use POND salt to the water. At least 0.1% (1 gm per litre).

What are your water temps at the moment? How often do you do water changes?

This is a pretty severe case of the disease, so you need to act quickly. This can spread deeply into the tissue of the fish or over the gills and kill it.

What do you mean by the fact that your water is ok? If your water was ok, your fish would not look like this. Bacteria and fungus such as this typically come about because the water quality is poor and you don't do enough water changes, the fish has been hurt in that particular area and bacteria has jumped on the spot, etc.

What exactly are your water parameters?

Reaction score
my water is still only 6c. i didnt do a water change over winter as i didnt think i needed to. as there not feeding. i took a sample in to the fish shop. and my water is perfect they said. i did give them a 25%water change yestaday. ive set up a fish tank in my house now im just waiting for it to settle. im going to try using anti fungus and antibactrial treatment first as im not keen on using the salt.
tony

Reaction score
no3=0
no2=0
gh=4
kh=6
ph=6.8
cl2=0
i dont have a clue wot is wot but they say there in save zones and i took a smaple to the shop to test and they said every thing looks good now. maybe it was over winter this happened when i didnt do the water change im very new to ponds.
tony

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patinmb

Latest Threads