how mutch to use

Reaction score
if the water isn't warm enough, then you should not be doing water changes. That is correct.

I guess what I was asking was, how often do you do water changes during the normal season. How often did you change the water last spring/summer?

You are making the right move in relocating this fish indoors into a tank. If you are afraid of using salt for some reason (and you shouldn't be if you are dealing with garden fish because it's an important remedy), then you definitely need to use some over the counter bacteria/fungal treatment. Just don't let someone talk you into using Melafix. As I said before, it really isn't effective for anything. Witches brew.

You need to continue with weekly water changes in a fish tank of at least 15%, too. If your fish is alone, by the way, it can be stressful to the fish.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
if the water isn't warm enough, then you should not be doing water changes. That is correct.

I guess what I was asking was, how often do you do water changes during the normal season. How often did you change the water last spring/summer?

You are making the right move in relocating this fish indoors into a tank. If you are afraid of using salt for some reason (and you shouldn't be if you are dealing with garden fish because it's an important remedy), then you definitely need to use some over the counter bacteria/fungal treatment. Just don't let someone talk you into using Melafix. As I said before, it really isn't effective for anything. Witches brew.

You need to continue with weekly water changes in a fish tank of at least 15%, too. If your fish is alone, by the way, it can be stressful to the fish.

i didnt do any water changes as i only built my pond in november but when this summer does come i will be doing weekly changes. i used to have a very small pond thats when the ulcers came but since i got the big pond the ulcers have healed and this fungus came. there is one more fish that has a tiny bit of cotton wool on her so ill bring her in also ive got medifin for the pond when it warms up ive set the tank up my house now and put charcol in the filter to make sure all the melafix is out of the water before i bring the fish in. should i feed her when shes in the house with medicated food ive also changed all my plant pots in my pond to pond plants pot and i got some soil for ponds and i got sopme more plants.
tony

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
depending on fishload, the general rule for a planted pond is 10% weekly. more plants less fish you can extend this duration. dedicated koi ponds with no plants to utilize nutrients may require a higher %, also depending on fish load and pond volume, and filtrations quality.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
depending on fishload, the general rule for a planted pond is 10% weekly. more plants less fish you can extend this duration. dedicated koi ponds with no plants to utilize nutrients may require a higher %, also depending on fish load and pond volume, and filtrations quality.

10 fish. and about 8 bunches of oxy plants. 2 water lillys. i probley dont need two tho. and 4 bull rush. in a 1724 litre pond but now my water is perfect i shouldnt have any more problem as i didnt test my water untill i noticed this cotton wool maybe it was bad before i did the water change they do seem a lot livly today even the one with cotton woll
tony

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ART777

Latest Threads