How to stack a waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another noob question. I am struggling with getting my water feature right. Long story short, I have gone back to the cascading waterfall below. Is there something that I can use to get these stacked right? I stopped using it because cats and foxes kept knocking it over and I'll wake up or get home to a near empty pond. Any tips for making this a little more solid? I stacked it up and weighed it down with bricks and rocks but again it got knocked over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you show us your pond set up? (Or link the thread if you've already posted photos - that would help!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes post a picture, easier to think fixes out when we can see!

Reaction score
We need a picture but when you stack the rocks they can't overhang so much that they can be easily knocked over. It should be as simple as that but since it keeps happening may not. A picture, please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I would build up a rock hill or mound and add in the waterfall parts. To make them hold together better if required you can use waterfall foam, mortar mix or there are several type bonding products for construction. I will use PL premium construction adhesive on a few key points where required on the rocks. I have also used Mortar mix ( cement ) to bond rocks and make a larger contact base to stabilize them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Those are some nice looking flat stones that look perfect for a waterfall.
I think you need more support around them. They are just sitting there seemingly in mid air stacked on each other.
You can build up large rocks along the sides or start with a soil mound, then rocks to hide the soil. But if you use a soil base, keep in mind not to build it so it can erode into the pond during heavy rain.
I would suggest a couple more things...
You should have a liner properly shaped and pitched under the falls in case any water spills over/ between the stones. This way it can only return to the pond.
If your pump is a submersible type that sits in the water, dont just sit it on the bottom. If you dont have a shelf or a way to raise the pump, tie a rope to it so it is suspended. If your pump is on the bottom and something goes wrong with you external plumbing or the falls itself, all your water will get sucked out.

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As other's have stated, you need a rock pile for support of the waterfall feature.

And that looks like a lot of Virginia Creeper around your pond, you sure you want that?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As other's have stated, you need a rock pile for support of the waterfall feature.

And that looks like a lot of Virginia Creeper around your pond, you sure you want that?
That's what is it called! Bloody thing is everywhere and even getting through my artificial grass. A constant battle to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't stack rocks or bricks - I'd build a dirt foundation and cut your waterfall in. Much more stable and you can plant it or rock it - or both - to make it look pretty.
Sorry to revive this old thread. Can some give me a little guidance on how to do this? If building a soil mound, any tips how I make it so the soil doesn't erode? Should I out a liner over the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Dismantle the existing waterfall. Build a mound of soil to set the waterfall onto. Make sure to shape the soil in a concave fashion and pitch it so that if any water escapes, it can only return to the pond. Place a liner over that and reinstall the waterfall over that. If you're concerned about the mound eroding, stack stones or other material against it. The stones will also hide the excess exposed liner. Even plants would help against erosion. You can even build a wooden frame around it fashioned as a planter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@poconojoe covered it. I just wanted to add - compact the soil really well, wettng it if necessary to get it to hold the shape. Reinforce the back side with rocks if necessary. Ideally you want a gentle slope - not a volcano in the wilderness!

Ask a Question