Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I was going to say antifreeze - thats what polyethylene is, right?
Poly Ethylene Glycol is the active raw ingredient of antifreeze but this compound is essentially the same thing only tweaked a bit with preservative nonetheless it is still the same as far as toxicity and anti-icing goes and interestingly is classified as a pesticide.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
D-Solv9 Works great in ornamental water features. The originator of this thread posted a photo of a rock feature and wanted to keep algae out and the water clear. He doesn't have any fish.

Additionally, polyetheylene glycol is also used as a laxative.:inpain:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
D-Solv9 Works great in ornamental water features. The originator of this thread posted a photo of a rock feature and wanted to keep algae out and the water clear. He doesn't have any fish.

Additionally, polyetheylene glycol is also used as a laxative.:inpain:
But, he specifically said he had birds... Not sure you would want a toxin even if only acting as laxative :poop::poop::poop::poop:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
This may be why the ecological info was conveniently left out of the MSDS. Not particularly ideal for bird life.
When I researched the chemical it was interestingly listed as a pesticide and ironically is also a carcinogen and is acutely toxic to birds, fish and bees to mention a few. A fountain filled with gasoline would only be slightly more dangerous but only if you are a smoker

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I think you should try to find something more effective and efficient than peroxide. Peroxide is gonna require a lot of repeat treatments as it becomes diluted and weakens pretty fast thereby making it a very short duration of action.

So, what is your suggestion given that you've nixed the algaecide option in a decorative feature?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
So, what is your suggestion given that you've nixed the algaecide option in a decorative feature?
That is outside my scope of expertise. He presented a product and I researched it. It really goes no deeper than that.

Ask a Question