I cleaned the area around the pond and now my fish are not eating

Reaction score
Country
United States
This past weekend I removed all the crawling plants around my koi pond including the plants that are hanging over the edge of my pond, I did not change the water,now my koi fish are acting skittish and are not eating their food, they are just in the bottom of the pond. I don’t know how to explain this behavior. I just hope they don’t die from starvation

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I said Hello and welcome with your other post, but will say it again, here: Hello and Welcome!

As @Lisak1 said it perfectly — it’s called self-preservation. Fish don’t react well to change. They seek safety. They are always wary of potential predators, so any changes in their environment will trigger this reaction. And notice that I said “potential“ predators, because they don’t know the difference. They will be fine. Give them time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1661789360842.gif
@Arielle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I agree. It's possible you might have spooked them. They should return to normalcy soon.

I'm just wondering why you removed all those plants. I, myself, enjoy the more natural look. I have all kinds of things growing all over my perimeter rocks. I can barely see most of the rocks. Some stuff I planted, like Creeping Jenny, some moss and some are just weeds, but they all look good to me. The more natural look the better, for me. Heck, some of those "weeds" actually have nice flowers!

Ask a Question