I have a confession to make... I feel sooo guilty...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
15 minutes from Reidsville NC and an hour from Greensboro NC in the middle of the state right at the bottom .Guessing you may have heard of the Martinsville Speedway Race track ,I live 15 minutes from that .I lived most of my life in NJ .My parents where from Berwick PA and Williamsport PA

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
straight run from Highway 58 .I can hear the race from my house and see the goodyear blimp go over my house .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just glad I have well water and it seems to be working good to keep my fish alive so far. Never know tho what kind of run off could enter your well I guess tho but that's a whole other story. Guy behind us cleans his big huge semi trucks that he uses for re-surfacing roads right on his property and he has a well too. Hope it stays over there but bet it's getting into the aqua-fir somewhat tho.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Guy behind us cleans his big huge semi trucks that he uses for re-surfacing roads right on his property and he has a well too.
Does that water drain into a sewer or soaks into the ground?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Soaks right into the darn ground and he's not supposed to do that but he does. He's also not supposed to have as many rigs as he does parked on his property but he does that also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
John, I always use declor. The tap water here has a lot of chlorine.One bottle of declor lasts me a whole summer so I think it's worth the investment. Sometime I do spray a little water in the pond from the garden hose but not much. I read somewhere that by spraying the water you lose some of the chlorine gas. Also I always use declorinated water to clean pumps, filters etc so I don't kill the beneficial bacteria.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just add water to keep the level up. We don't want to ever have a dry well or the pump cycling all of the time, so just a 1/2 hour fill then done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used it when I initially filled the pond. But not since. I don't do water changes, just top off the pond when the level gets low. I have a lot of evaporation, so it's usually a couple of inches every couple of days. We have a water spicket right by the pond, so I put a splitter on it and ran a short hose under the mulch to the pond so all I have to do is turn on the water to fill. It is above water level though so the water hits the air before it hits the pond. Like someone else mentioned I've heard that gets rid of chlorine gases. And like yours, my fish always rush to the water and seem to really like when I am filling it up. Knock on wood, but haven't had any fish die so far, one disappeared (think a bullfrog ate him), and one got stuck out of water on top of the forget-me-nots, but I saved him in time. We have something in between city and well water. They call it county around here, but basically it's treated water, just not as treated as city water is. Whatever that means. Different water plant I guess.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i give my pond 15 gals a day fresh water thru a shower sprinkler head, so it "rains" a gentle shower on the pond for about 3 minutes a day...over a week thats 110 gals, alittle under 10% in my 1200 gal pond...no need to dechlorinate at that rate. i used to fill,dechlorinate and drain a 55 gal barrel into the pond every 4 days. like was said... doing a change over 10%, dechlorinate.. better safe than sorry...and gill damage isnt something readily seen, but it damages the membrane and impairs the fishes ability to take in oxygen...like having emphezema, can be a very slow progressive condition or fairly quick depending on exposure. both in amounts and durations.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks for all your posts, I've learned something I didn't know before. Great forum!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I don't treat my water either. When I first filled my pond this year I treated my water, but now its just to top off. I top off about once a week and water the grasses around the pond as well. I haven't lost a fish yet to not treating.

Ask a Question