I'd like to share a picture of a cool plant and other pond/bog pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's called Neptune's Crown...
I stuck the original 4 or 5 inch sprig in between the rocks at the waters edge and it has grown to over 5 feet long.
It floats, has branched out and looks really cool.

20210922_110206.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for highlighting Neptune's Crown (Alternanthera aquatica). It is a most intriguing floating plant that too often gets overlooked.
By the way, your entire pond looks magnificent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the replies and compliments.

The Neptune's Crown is such a cool plant, but it is tropical and only tolerable from zones 8-10. I'm in zone 6b, so it won't survive.
Maybe I'll try to bring a piece inside and see if it will make it through our long winter. If not, it wasn't that expensive. If I recall correctly, it was around $6 or $7.

Not much open water left with all the water lettuce and hyacinth.
The fountain, bog spillway and two air stones help to keep some openings.

You can hardly see the bog spillway. It's covered in growth, but that's fine with me. I like the natural look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies and compliments.

The Neptune's Crown is such a cool plant, but it is tropical and only tolerable from zones 8-10. I'm in zone 6b, so it won't survive.
Maybe I'll try to bring a piece inside and see if it will make it through our long winter. If not, it wasn't that expensive. If I recall correctly, it was around $6 or $7.

Not much open water left with all the water lettuce and hyacinth.
The fountain, bog spillway and two air stones help to keep some openings.

You can hardly see the bog spillway. It's covered in growth, but that's fine with me. I like the natural look.
give the Sensitive Plant a try next year; similar growth pattern to the Neptune's Crown in that it slides across the water, but it also puts out yellow flowers (though mine didn't do much this year re flowering). It's a neat plant in that it'll close up it's leaves (looks like a fern) when touched, hence it's name.

Btw, where's your 'sittin' place'? Can you take a 'whole scene' pic to show the overview?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
give the Sensitive Plant a try next year; similar growth pattern to the Neptune's Crown in that it slides across the water, but it also puts out yellow flowers (though mine didn't do much this year re flowering). It's a neat plant in that it'll close up it's leaves (looks like a fern) when touched, hence it's name.

Btw, where's your 'sittin' place'? Can you take a 'whole scene' pic to show the overview?
I tried the sensitive plant last year, but it didn't do that well.
Funny how some plants flourish and some don't. A lot of contributing factors come into play, I guess.

We have a bench on each side to sit on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tried the sensitive plant last year, but it didn't do that well.
Funny how some plants flourish and some don't. A lot of contributing factors come into play, I guess.

We have a bench on each side to sit on.
a BENCH? a BENCH??? Not a lounge with appropriate drink holder and a place to hold your phone for all those witty GPF replies???? No place to lean back an put your feet up? C'mn Man!! (there, the CLOSEST I'll ever get to quoting the prez!) Ya gots to up your game, here. Sheesh! I suppose you're going to tell me you fired the serfs hired to fan you during those hot days with a large palm leaf!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
a BENCH? a BENCH??? Not a lounge with appropriate drink holder and a place to hold your phone for all those witty GPF replies???? No place to lean back an put your feet up? C'mn Man!! (there, the CLOSEST I'll ever get to quoting the prez!) Ya gots to up your game, here. Sheesh! I suppose you're going to tell me you fired the serfs hired to fan you during those hot days with a large palm leaf!
I found that palm leaves are hard to find here in Pennsylvania.
I have them use a big snow shovel instead. Gotta keep those servants in line.

I don't even want to know what goes on in your pond cabana. But I'm sure your neighbors are wondering. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I found that palm leaves are hard to find here in Pennsylvania.
I have them use a big snow shovel instead. Gotta keep those servants in line.

I don't even want to know what goes on in your pond cabana. But I'm sure your neighbors are wondering. :unsure:
no, they're not; sound travels.

Ask a Question