Idle speculation and guesses welcome as to what color this fish will eventually be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Almost all of the young goldfish in my little pond are from two years ago, though there is tremendous variation in their size. I honestly do not know if this fish is a 2021 runt or a sneak 2022 fish from the very short time I had two lemon goldfish that within a month of passing quarantine and entering my pond kicked the bucket. This is the only fry to have turned this color from black, all others turned straight to orange. So, what do you think, will it be a lemon, or is the yellow a temporary stop on the way to traditional Chinese red? I’ll come back and post photos again someday of the eventual outcome.

Attachments

• IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it will end up orange, but maybe not the full on red/orange. We've had lots of those colored goldfish and never had any lemons to start with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
At least it is turning from solid black/dark gray....six of my shubunkins stayed solid dark gray/black at almost 2 years old...I can barely see them against the rocks and they are about five inches long....Whatever yours changes to it will certainly be better than solid. I think it looks cool though now:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
to hell with the gold fish i'm digging the grass on the bottom of the pond and a koi in the picture. looks to be a healthy pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Almost all of the young goldfish in my little pond are from two years ago, though there is tremendous variation in their size. I honestly do not know if this fish is a 2021 runt or a sneak 2022 fish from the very short time I had two lemon goldfish that within a month of passing quarantine and entering my pond kicked the bucket. This is the only fry to have turned this color from black, all others turned straight to orange. So, what do you think, will it be a lemon, or is the yellow a temporary stop on the way to traditional Chinese red? I’ll come back and post photos again someday of the eventual outcome.
Ooo. I can hardly wait.

Ask a Question