insulation Q

Reaction score
ok, ive just upgraded from a 37 gallon sunken to a 180 gallon raised (fiberglass), will be building decking around and up to the outer rim, i need to know if i need to insulate the lower outside of the pond before i build the decking round it, temp is cold brrrrrr, about minus 4 but doesnt get that cold very often.

can i get away with a submersible heater, bearing in mind its all cold water fish

thanks
dazzzaa

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I insulated my raised pond with the ridged foam core insulation that was 4 inches thick > I live in VA and it does not get that cold but figured why not .I have an inside concrete block wall where the liner goes up over that and then an outside retaining wall block .

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
HI DAZZZAA i would use foil foam sheets [ celotex ] works fine on mine, use 100mm [ 4" ] good stuff but not cheap.. [ tip! dont try rockwall fibre or your have rats or mice move in ] lined my pond base and all sides with celotex then clad it with timber on outside. mine under going rebuild now . heres a photo showing blocks ,50mm celotex then decking off cut used as side edging to pond...cheers whiskey

Attachments

• DSC00797.JPG
    DSC00797.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 312

Ask a Question