are those insulation pink foam panels safe for fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hubby is contemplating the idea of using those pink insulation foam panels in the construction of the waterfall but we have no idea if it would be safe for the fish.
Anyone knows if those foam panels can be safely used in fish ponds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used the green panels as a floating island for a bit, pulled it when the heron started landing on it to eat the fish.
I'm not sure how he wants to use it, it has to do with the front of the waterfall.
So you don't think there's any harm to the fish in using insulating foam boards?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know someone who keeps high end koi and he floats insulation panels over half his pond in the winter and covers the other half. I'm not sure what color they are.
I wonder what the color difference even mean
smdunno.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I've used the pink panels to build a "rock" face and waterfall on a couple ponds. I glued them with silicone and had access to large amounts of rotten granite (pebbles a bit smaller than BBs), so I then spread clear silicone over the shaped styrofoam (like a model railroad mountain) and pressed the granite into the surface. At any distance, they looked great to me and friends. I had it for 3 years and all still worked fine when we sold the place and it never seemed to bother the fish any.

That's it at the corner of the fence.
pond and shed from roof copy.jpg

I used 2" thick foam in horizontal layers to build the basic shape, then used a coarse wood rasp to shape it. The stream came down over the "rock" and along the length of the area, then into the close end of the pond. That's an artificial Xmas tree in the corner, as there was no room for a tree against the fence. The rest of the rocks are nice granite, I don't know what it is about my wife and I and rocks! Oh, the path is all rotten granite as well. It worked out OK, but really tracked into the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hubby is contemplating the idea of using those pink insulation foam panels in the construction of the waterfall but we have no idea if it would be safe for the fish.
Anyone knows if those foam panels can be safely used in fish ponds?

I would think they would be very safe. I use them in construction and have never seen them break apart in anyway unless someone hit them with a hammer or tried sawing them. I have had a lot of little pieces of styrofoam and insulation fly in my pond during the last few years with all the construction around me. I just remove the little pieces with a net so the fish don't accidentally eat them. They would spit it out anyway but I like to remove them to keep the pond clean. Ever see how many times the same fish will eat a piece of non-food then spit it out and then try eating it again?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Stephen T. very creative, the whole thing looks really nice! Thank you for sharing!

@CometKeith You just answered all of my questions on safety and durability, thank you so much!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only foam panels I would never use for anything are the little white balls all glued together than they make into sheets and into like cheap coolers. While there's no toxicity issue the draw back is that TERMITES absolutely love the stuff they will make tunnels throughout.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We won't be using any foam after all :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
@Stephen T. very creative, the whole thing looks really nice! Thank you for sharing!

@CometKeith You just answered all of my questions on safety and durability, thank you so much!

This was back in 1996, my first pond that wasn't natural. I wish the photo was better, it was taken with an early digital camera that was just barely worth the bother.

Ask a Question