Intake bay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I recently created a intake bay for my pond. It’s working pretty well, by my question is how do I make it pull water better without adding a larger pump ? Mine is rated at 9,000 gallons per hour. I have a big pond. Can I make it pull more water by reducing the depth of the opening of the intake bay?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you mean pull the surface water better? I assume that this is what you mean, if so yes making the entrance to the intake bay shallower, will increase the surface pull into it.

You can also add jets or power heads to create circulation in the pond that pushes towards the intake bay.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes I need it to pull more surface water. To clear leaves. It’s working but my pond is big and so it’s moving really slow. Thank you for the response!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have two waterfalls on the opposite end of pond pushing the water but it’s a 75’ pond .
Yep, You may want to add some jets or power heads to help push the surface water towards the intake bay.

Did this with my pond as it is 65’ long, also have 2 skimmers in there besides the intake bay to help catch the surface crap that falls in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree w/ @Jhn. I'd probably start with a couple powerheads and see if that helps enough. Shallower weir = more pull, but also reduces the amount of water level fluctuation you can have. If you cut it too close, you might need to install an autofill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thanks all! I reduced the depth heading into the intake bay and it’s working like a charm. Pond is spotless! Now to battle the fall…..

Attachments

• 7E105ED0-7661-4B61-A6F1-88B4BC5CB573.jpeg
    7E105ED0-7661-4B61-A6F1-88B4BC5CB573.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
9000 is bare bones for turn over and or circulation in a pond that size

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yeah,
. I have another 12,000 GPH on other end running through a bog. The two together are doing a good job. This was my first pond build. It’s doing what I need it to do. Pond is clear, and now no leaves. It’s turning the pond about every 6 hours I know I need it to turn once per hour but hey live and learn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once per hour is more for moderate sized ponds the amount of volume you have mother nature will help out in ways we will never fully understand. Like farm ponds and no filters

Ask a Question