Introduction and first volley of questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Even greener today. Tested water again and got the same levels for NO2 and NO3... between 0 and the next color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
mmathis, your line of questions made me realize that water in my bog was in fact flowing over the top of the gravel. As the bog boundary is filling in and resisting flow more effectively, the water level in the bog has gotten deeper without me realizing it, putting the gravel below the surface. I added more gravel, added some more plants, stopped using the filter bag and in a couple of days, the water has cleared to the point we can again see bottom in the deepest part of the pond! It had gotten pretty thick so it has been quite a remarkable recovery. We have also had a break in the 110 plus temps, so I can't be certain that what I changed was the solution, but either way, the conversation here has been helpful and is appreciated.

The filter bag (Shop dust-collector bag) was amazingly effective at filtering out the fine mineral sediment that found its way into the pond during construction so I thought it would be a good temporary solution to excess algae. Didn't seem to work out that way and after taking it out and things clearing up so fast, I'm wondering if it made the algae bloom worse. For one, the water was going through less of the bog, but I suspect there is more to it than that, though what, I cannot guess.

New pump arrived yesterday and the weir is en route. I'm excited for my first expansion! At this rate the whole yard will be a pond by the end of the year! :p

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@ki5ka Gee thanks! I’m glad I was actually able to help someone!

With bogs, plants, and algae, the main consideration is the amount of contact that the water has with the plant roots. That’s one reason that upflow bogs tend to be more effective, as the water has almost total contact with all root surfaces as well as all the gravel surfaces (unless you have channeling) — this surface area is where the good bacteria grows, as well.

Sometimes we never know WHAT we did that made a difference. You’ll often hear us advise folks to “take it slow,” and only change one thing at a time. Be patient! Once you get to know your pond and bog a little better, you’ll figure these things out! Congratulations!

Ask a Question