Introduction to Old Michutka

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I actually started this pond several years ago. At first I only cut in the cascade, then because of other influences it sat for several years. Then last year I finished it up. The pond is around 10feet +/- wide and between 15 and twenty ft. long. The bottom is covered in course river rock (1.5-) and varies from a few inches deep up by the cascade to over two feet at the far end. The sides are covered in basult. It holds someplace around 1000 to 2000 gallons of water. I can't say for sure because the river rock in the bottom veries in depth from several inches to a foot or better in places. The water flow from the cascade is at least 1500 GPH. The pump I baught was listed at 3200 GPH, but after testing its flow I found its output sugnificantly less. But It turns out that the flow I ended up with created the very tranquilizing babble of a mountain stream as versed to the harsh roar of a waterfall. I let the natural wildlife move in from the start, forgs, newts and so forth. I liked that a lot. Then this spring I added water plants, water lillies, rushes and so forth. Then in about May or early June I started adding small fish that included Koi, Comments, Fantails, Black Moore and some common gold fish. I can't tell you just how it makes me feel just being down there watching them little guys frolic about in the pond. At times they remind me of newborn colts bolting around the field. Its just grand. For your interest I attached a couple pictures I took earlier this summer. I do have a couple serious issues with my pond, but I will broach them in a different thread. Anyway I hope this forum gives me the chance to get to know you and learn a lot without totally undoing all that I have done to date. I have to go now. Lots of other commitments. I will post again later.

Old Michutka

Attachments

• cascade1.jpg
    cascade1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 200
  • pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 199

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

Frogswelcomev.gif

Glad you joined!
Leave your pictures bigger the software will resize them, then we can enlarge and see them better.

It sounds really neat, just can't really see your pond very well lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Old Michutka :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
wspider02.gif
Old Michutka
Will be neat to see more photo's and hear more about your pond. We will try to help you any way we can.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome aboard. I know you said you had some issues with the pond, but one thing you may want to consider is pulling out the river rock in the bottom, it will hold all kinds of muck and will be very hard to keep clean.

Pond looks nice but like Addy said let the software resize them so we can see them better.

Ask a Question