Introduction

Reaction score
We started 10 years ago with an 11x16 standard koi pond with 6 ft high waterfall, and eventually converted it to pondless by repositioning the pump and filling the basin with boulders. We just got tired of cleaning up the pond! We now have a 6x6x2 ft pondless reservoir filled with cobble at the base of a 4 ft high brook-type waterfall, located in Morgan Hill, CA. Our pump is an Aquascape Designs 3500 gpm housed in a small snorkel box. The original 11x16 was installed for us, but we converted that one to pondless and built the pondless waterfall in this house ourselves, so we are fairly experienced with the elements involved.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and what is a snorkle box .You never know if you never ask . :razz:

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your welcome. The snorkel houses the pump, and the "caterpillar" (actually, I meant to say "centipede") keeps rocks out of the pump. Photos of these items are attached.

microsnorkel.jpg
microcentipede.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never saw any thing sold that looks like that do they work and is there a filter you have to wash off .Lately i am getting roots from plants that clog mine .What brand are they and what size pump or brand do you need for them .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcomescuba.gif
gillily
Never saw one of those snorkel thingies w/ the protector deal on it. Does it work well and not clog up often?

Reaction score
j.w and sissy - Yes, they do work well, and don't clog at all, if properly installed (larger rocks around the centipede provide best water flow). Our rig has been in place for over 6 years, with no signs of wear. The snorkel is a universal design that should accept any submersible pump designed for ponds. Ours (and the photo) is a "microsnorkel," which is recommended for small pondless installations such as ours, but it holds a 3500 gpm horizontal pump with plenty of room to spare. There is a larger version for larger pondless installations. There is no filter, nor is any recommended for the waterfall box. These are Aquascape models, and one resource for them online is pondscapeonline.com (http://pondscapedesigns.com/aquascape_snorkel_centipede.htm). Aquascape Designs has a list of retailers on their Website at www.aquascapedesigns.com. I didn't mean for this to be an advertisement, but you asked.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info and your pix are very nice. I think tho I would miss that lovely pond you had there but I can see where you have way less work to do w/ the nice setup you have now :razz:

Reaction score
I have a few corrections to make. Any reference I have made above to gpm should have been gph, our current pump has a 2500 gph capacity, and the current pondless reservoir is only 18 inches deep. Whew!...glad I got that off my chest.

Ask a Question