iron, well water, aeration questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi all:

While I'm waiting on my liner(s) to arrive (yeah, finally finished the pond dig with only the bog to excavate but since I'll be raising it a bit, not nearly as much digging as before), I've been researching a few subjects, namely well water, iron, and as an aside, aeration. These are my questions, and believe me when I say I've searched this forum as well as the net without real solid answers. So, here goes...

1) I'll be using well water, fairly hard at 24 grains, and with an iron content equivalent of 3 more grains. I'm pretty sure this iron is actually iron oxide in form as I do get stains on the sinks/tub after prolonged 'dripping' exposure. So, will the plants and fish be okay with this water source? Or should I filter before I fill the pond? I've read various ways and there seems to be no guaranteed method. Oxi-clean, Iron-out, using a white towel/sock as a filter and then washing often, shocking and then vacuuming out the particulate, etc. Any ideas re this?

2)in researching the iron issue, I also saw articles dealing with aeration. If I plan on having a waterfall, do I need more than this? I decided to get a Danner pump with an output of 4k gph for my 2400 g pond. I figure I can use this one pump with some plumbing pieces to get both a bog feed and a fall feed. I could also, maybe, divert again into an aerator, or even create a venturi effect ala my protein skimmer being used on my reef system, but if I don't need this, it is just one less system to maintain. Any opinions? Btw, I'm planning on having basically fish (the shubunkins) in one half of my pond and in the other half, I'm going to attempt to have turtles. I've got a workable divider system and have sloped the upper turtle pond so that the floor will feed the lower fish pond where the Danner pump will eventually suck all the debris and feed the bog.

3)and Q2 makes me ask anyone here about a good plant to get to stock the turtle portion such that they can eat the vegetation and not eradicate it. That is, what should I use that would keep up with a turtle's appetite. I already know I don't want them eating anything exotic and will basically have those type plants in with the goldfish. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
brokensword said:
Hi all:

While I'm waiting on my liner(s) to arrive (yeah, finally finished the pond dig with only the bog to excavate but since I'll be raising it a bit, not nearly as much digging as before), I've been researching a few subjects, namely well water, iron, and as an aside, aeration. These are my questions, and believe me when I say I've searched this forum as well as the net without real solid answers. So, here goes...

1) I'll be using well water, fairly hard at 24 grains, and with an iron content equivalent of 3 more grains. I'm pretty sure this iron is actually iron oxide in form as I do get stains on the sinks/tub after prolonged 'dripping' exposure. So, will the plants and fish be okay with this water source? Or should I filter before I fill the pond? I've read various ways and there seems to be no guaranteed method. Oxi-clean, Iron-out, using a white towel/sock as a filter and then washing often, shocking and then vacuuming out the particulate, etc. Any ideas re this?
Not sure how to convert the grains to PPM but most test kits and readings are usually done in PPM( parts per million) or on %. I wouldn't use that water unless it is well filtered, Iron oxide or Iron deposts will directly effect most plants, Lily's and marginals will be effected the most. Also High Iron has been said to cause problems with deformities in Goldfish and koi fry.
2)in researching the iron issue, I also saw articles dealing with aeration. If I plan on having a waterfall, do I need more than this? I decided to get a Danner pump with an output of 4k gph for my 2400 g pond. I figure I can use this one pump with some plumbing pieces to get both a bog feed and a fall feed. I could also, maybe, divert again into an aerator, or even create a venturi effect ala my protein skimmer being used on my reef system, but if I don't need this, it is just one less system to maintain. Any opinions? Btw, I'm planning on having basically fish (the shubunkins) in one half of my pond and in the other half, I'm going to attempt to have turtles. I've got a workable divider system and have sloped the upper turtle pond so that the floor will feed the lower fish pond where the Danner pump will eventually suck all the debris and feed the bog.
Additional areation should not be NEEDED but can be very benificial to both plants and fish. The more water movement at the surface the better but a airstone in the bottom of the pond not only areates the water but also pulld mcuk from the bottom into the water column for the pump to remove for the filter to clean out. It also helps in preventing PH crash and dead spots in the pond.
3)and Q2 makes me ask anyone here about a good plant to get to stock the turtle portion such that they can eat the vegetation and not eradicate it. That is, what should I use that would keep up with a turtle's appetite. I already know I don't want them eating anything exotic and will basically have those type plants in with the goldfish. Any thoughts?
Turtles will usually only do minimal damage to plants, Young water lilies I would not recommend, may large Hardies but no baby plants. many turtle species feed on spent water lily blooms. In a bog if there is enough water water lettuce and water hyacinths both do very well at clearing the water and will out grow any turtle munching. Plants that rise above the water surface are rarely eaten by turtles

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael

One last note, Turtles put off alot of waste, Go as big as possible on your filtering and stock less fish if your wanting to keep clean water. 1 - 6" turtle can poop as much waste as 3-6 6" gold fish!

Ask a Question