Is salt good for treating parasites?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I notice my two black moors that I brought in from the pond are flashing. If I isolated them in a salt bath will it help?

I just ordered some pond salt anyways, handy to have I guess.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A salt dip would be more effective.

It should be mentioned that parasites are ubiquitous to any aquatic habitat and seldom bother healthy fish due to a substantial slime coat. It is only when fish are weakened does the slime coat become thin allowing for parasite infestation. Make sure that all of the pond parameters are optimal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are not sure how to do a salt dip I copied this info for you from Puregold site :
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/disease.htm

SALT DIPS
Dips are brief exposures of a fish to a medication followed by the fish being put into fresh water.
Indications:
flashing or flicking
coming out of the summer pond and into an aquarium
the fish just arrived in a box or just brought home from the store
the fish isn't looking "well" or hasn't responded to topical treatments for
"fin rot or dots"
under a microscope, parasites are seen in substantial numbers
the fish has a resistant case of fin rot

Contraindications:
The fish are very small or fry ****** see caution
The fish have never been in "salted water" (like Israeli koi or shubunkins)
The fish is very toxed out from ammonia or other toxins (gills are dark red
or bloody looking)

Materials:
1/2 cup salt with no additives per gallon of tank water (no temp shock)

Methods:
0. mix the salt into the water.
1. put the fish into the salt water and start timing the dip. A salt dip of 30 seconds for small or stressed fish is sufficient. Fish can be dipped up to 5 minute if they continue to swim without sign of distress.
2. the fish will come up to the top, generally on its side, poke the fish and the fish will dive and swim
3. if the fish doesn't dive or doesn't dive quickly, take the fish out and put them into fresh water. It is not a good idea to put the fish back into the tank they came from until that tank is cleaned out or treated first for parasites.
4. take even a still active fish out after 5 minutes, leaving them in the salt dip longer will kill them.
5. for SMALL FISH, when they come up to the top and start rolling even slightly, they must be removed immediately no matter what the time limit. This means their gills can't handle it. Even if it has only been a few seconds.

Cautions:
1. the fish may dive to the bottom of the tank and sit there, this is usual
2. after the dip, the fish will "purge" both feces and ammonia from the gills, so the water must be tested and the water changed

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I wouldn't have the slightest idea, no flashing since though. Also one fish has a popeye, so one treatment is enough for popeye? I got other treatment for that but never seemed to work.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With a salt dip, you are treating for parasites not necessarily symptoms. One salt dip may alleviate the 'pop-eye', if, indeed, the 'pop-eye' was caused by parasites. 'Pop-Eye' is caused by an accumulation of fluid (edema) behind the eyeball and can be caused by many things other than parasites, including injury, water quality, bacteria and virus, etc.
Read the post by Davo at this link. It pretty much covers 'pop-eye'.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/how-to-treat-popeye.44861/

Ask a Question