Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We upgraded our pond view seating today:

swing.jpg

And as we sat there we watched this little dude just waiting for that grand daddy to make a wrong move:
waiting.jpg

Then this male scarlet tanager dropped in for a drink:
tanager.jpg

And tucked up under our porch was this chunky one taking a bat nap:
bat.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You live in my favorite state!!!!!! I wish I could buy up acres and acres of land around the Smokies and protect it from development.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had to evict seven big brown bats from our porch this Spring and I'm wondering if this one showed up today thinking it could get back in! We have two bat houses in a sunny spot behind the cabin, but I don't know if the bats are using them right now. I can never catch them coming or going if they are, and I can't get through the thick brush to check it out. But we did have a single little bat spend most of the winter in one of the houses, so maybe...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They prefer darker spots for the bat house like a wooded area as that keeps them feeling protected .That is why most bats come out at night bugs and protection from other critters .Not sure about brown ones but our black little ones prefer the wooded area behind my house in dark dank area and protected .I have to take the ladder out there to put the bat houses up high

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They prefer darker spots for the bat house like a wooded area as that keeps them feeling protected .That is why most bats come out at night bugs and protection from other critters .Not sure about brown ones but our black little ones prefer the wooded area behind my house in dark dank area and protected .I have to take the ladder out there to put the bat houses up high
For our area and the types of bats that may use the boxes, a warm open spot is the recommendation. I used aluminum poles to prevent invasion by predators, and since the largest bat house is so big I mounted it on dual poles that pivot, so there's no ladders involved. Lighter or medium colored stain/paints are recommended in our area as well.
bathouses.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't stain mine and the wood I use is from max kendalls scrap wood pile they throw out for people to take .

Ask a Question