Joined to ask for HELP!!

Reaction score
- So it looks like there's got to be some prefiltration first.
- The mechanical filtration is a nice concept, the gunk gets trapped on the outside of the filter media and gets washed away periodically but the bacteria stays in the inside of the media. Just to confirm, does the media move or stays static during regular filtration mode?
- Is there a minimum gph requirement for the pump in order for the backflush to work?
Pre-filter basket is certainly a good feature to have on your pump. The media stays in one place when it operates and solid waste gets trapped between the particles. When backwashing the media gets stirred up allowing the dirt to pass thru the waste valve. There's a good video demo on the website.
www.aquaultraviolet.com

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kathy
I just use these pre-filters attached to my pump:
IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

Sometimes to get the fine gunk off the bottom I also use a bucket w/ quilt batting w/ a hose running from an extra pump sucking out from the pond. Just stir up the water w/ net or while netting off the bottom it collects lots of yuck on the white batting. When full I just hose off and put back in.
IMG_5801.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi John, My pond water is super clean so I can't complain about how these filters work. I have a Laguna 900 pumping into it with no pre-filter. As LarryM mentioned you also have to do a backflush at the same time. There is a little red indicator that pops up when it needs cleaning. Whenever it pops up I clean the filter. The part I like the most is that you don't have to manually open the filter to clean it. Everything works well so I can't argue with success!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, aka Kathy, seems like you got various advise. I like having my filter outside of my pond, as it's easier on my back ...I used to have one I lifted from the pond.

I think my filter is too small, but will probably make it through this season and look into a new filter next season. I have my pumps in my skimmer which really helps keep them clean....down side is, they pull so much pond water through the filter mats, they need to be cleaned daily:(

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi John, My pond water is super clean so I can't complain about how these filters work. I have a Laguna 900 pumping into it with no pre-filter. As LarryM mentioned you also have to do a backflush at the same time. There is a little red indicator that pops up when it needs cleaning. Whenever it pops up I clean the filter. The part I like the most is that you don't have to manually open the filter to clean it. Everything works well so I can't argue with success!
I was just interested in the mechanism of cleaning the foam with the blades.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Old thread, from 2014. Member hasn’t been around since joining.

@Gunnitgamms I notice that you are “welcoming” a lot of old, no longer present members, but we don’t know anything about you. We love lurkers: Why not start an “introductions” thread and tell us about yourself and about your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry lol not paying attention I guess. I did the introductions. I just started reading some of the old introductions I guess

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry lol not paying attention I guess. I did the introductions. I just started reading some of the old introductions I guess
Speaking as a computer knob if you click on new post on the header bar and also whats new you won't have to look for dates so much

Ask a Question