Just bought house with pond and seller abandoned fish...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Why do you assume your son will fall in? We have 9 grandchildren who are around our pond constantly - not one has ever fallen in. Plus your pond is so shallow - what harm could come if he does fall in? He could just stand right up and climb back out. If you want to teach him to stay back, perhaps a low bit of fencing in the front edge - just 12 or 18 inches high, as a reminder to not get any closer. But he will love feeding the fish and watching them and looking for other critters in the pond. Kids love ponds!

As for the heron - I'd suggest more plant cover. But ultimately - while you're right that cover is ugly - a net can be the only defense that really works if the heron is persistent. There are better ways to do it though. Lots of folks here have netted ponds - search for "net" and you'll see lots of posts.
So I'm not assuming he'll fall in, just it's a thing people worry about right? Especially my parents' generation because of the Don't Look Now effect I think...

Kids can drown in pretty shallow water I think but tbh I'm not too worried but the missus is and if I'm going to win the battle to keep the pond (she doesn't want to) I'll need to at least make visible efforts to make it more childproof I think...

I've not seem a heron to be fair but can only assume the previous owner had that cover for a reason? Should I just chance it?
Congrats on the new house and welcome to GPF.
I'm walking the line here between too worried or not. We had family friends whose toddler drowned in the back yard, unwatched for only a few minutes. And, I live in Florida, US, with lots of water around. It isn't just for your child, it's for his visiting friends and their potentially worried parents .

That being said, I've seen a lot of decorative pond covers, many from the UK, that look like the below. There's a UK firm called "Creative Pond Covers" and I don't know if they're good or if they're expensive or horribly expensive, but it's something you could look into.

1694612058403.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. Can I just buy the bog type filter or is it something I'll need to construct? On the net, I'm tempted to give it a go without anything? As I said above, I haven't actually seen a heron...or is it not worth taking the chance?
it can be something as simple as a plastic bucket with gravel and plants. You'd need a pump/hose to supply it with water and a spout/hole/pipe to return it to the pond. Could be very simple - even a hole in the ground with a liner. Look through the DIY section here...tons of ways it can be accomplished. Here's just one example:
and here's one that's posted here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/wine-barrel-waterfall-filter-i-have-many-questions.26000/

Kinda depends how handy you are too.

The heron may eventually find you or he may already have you pinned on his map of the area :)

Ask a Question