Just couldn't say no...so now what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
capewind said:
You are kidding right? Do you see our news over there at all? Congress cant manage to vote on anything important LOL.

Come on over:)

I blame Ronnie James Dio (rock vocalist with an incredible voice) for my choice in beer ... He gave me my first Heineken in 1986:) He was playing at the Providence Civic Center (with Savatage and Megadeath as twin opening bands) A friend had told me to ask for their cousin at the gate behind the stage, that he could get us "back stage passes" ... That wasnt quite true .. what he did for us (me and my girl friend) was wayyyyyy better!!! Yes, he got us "back stage" but we spent 30 minutes ALONE with the band BEFORE the people with the actual back stage passes were allowed back! They had a table with these huge plastic totes filled with ice and Heineken's ... We asked if we could have one ... Ronnie knew we were underage and said we could split one LOL. What an incredible human being he was. It was so sad that he passed from cancer a few years ago.
Oh that is so very cool never once did we manage a back stage pass to any of the rock bands we used to go see but I did have a drinking bout with some of my mates back then and Fish ex of Marrillion who liked a few jars infact more than quite a few lol
Lindisfarne when they came down used to drink in our watering hole that was so cool .
And my step nephew Kieran was friends with the lead singer of Barclay James Harvest who were born where I was born in Oldham Lancashire when his mum used to live just across the valley from then .
I also used to help out on his farthers dairy farm with my grandad but that was way before Val and I met by 30 odd years and we got into them lol .
His father used to deliver milk by horse and cart , the horses were amazing, they knew the route and would stop at road junctions to wait for him to get back in the cart he would have them walk at a slow but steady rate whilst he jumped on and off delivering the milk.
Fame didnt affect his son nor the rest of the group who all bought farms in the local area and bought houses to rent also creating cottage industies to help support the locals

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Dont want to hi-jack this thread and stay way off topic, so will make this quick. A few months after the Dio concert, we saw Kiss ... I tried to ask for my friends cousin again, but he was no longer there ... his buddy was, and got us NORMAL backstage passes, but it wasnt the same. Even though I wanted to meet the band, I wasnt a "groupie" and meeting them as part of a group really wasnt ME ... They were more like what you would expect of spending a few minutes with a high profile band. Meeting Ronnie wasnt like that at all. He was a kind, down to earth guy. It was like walking next door to your neighbor's BBQ and having a beer while you chit chat.

Because of where we live (the environment of Cape Cod), we have a very diverse population, and have known some truly great people from all walks of life. Two people hubby really liked ...

Tommy Hamilton (gutarist from Aerosmith), hubby installed his irrigation system. He was just a kid working for another landscaper (he actually was the irrigation division). Anyways, being a kid, you know hubby was drooling over Tommy's car. I cant remember now (hubby isnt home to ask and I wasnt there) if it was a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, but Tommy tossed him the keys and told him to take it for a ride ...

The other he really liked was Arnold Schwarzenegger. Hubby did some work on the Kennedy Compound. His comments about him (aside from he was a nice man) was how SMALL he was LOL.... Regardless of what the rest of the world thinks, most of the locals do NOT like the Kennedys one bit. The only Kennedy worth a damn in my view was Rose (she was the mother of President JF Kennedy). My aunt was a wedding cake designer, and I had the oppurtunity to meet Rose a few times as a teenager. Rose was a classy woman.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Other people of note I have met include Lord Louis Mountbattern "twice", ( the last time being shortly before the IRA murderd him and other members of his family), he was Prince Chales's mentor when he was alive.
Prince Charles "twice" and Her Majesty the Queen Mother when she came aboard "Her ark Royal" this was all to do with service in the Navy, I doubt I'd have met any of them had I not joined the Navy. .
Ken Dodd Funny Man and Comedian , this was after I was caught in a crush as he opened a super market he was very concerned had me take to the managers office where we talked for a good ten minutes, mostly about him and his diddy men who all used to work in the Jam Butty Mines lol, I was a kid at the time.
The now dead child molesting pervert Jimmy Saville DJ and TV star, though no one knew about all this at all until after he died.
It turned out he molested hundereds of youngsters and used his fame to cover things up even the BBC and the police knew he was but just sat on it.
But I digress this was when he came aboard HMS Ark Royal for a visit,.I found he wasn't the person we all looked up to and as it turned out just one of his many faces , he was crude, swore and spent much the time flashing his jewelry at us all over the ships CCTV saying just how many thousands he'd paid for it.
I think had we clicked on about this we would as a man have dropped him over the ships side there and then.
We Sailors just couldnt do enough for any disadvantaged kid, this was anywhere in the world.
We used to invite them to a Pirates day aboard us with, a fantastic meal with presents at the end of their day lol even we used to dress up as pirates they had the run of the ship whilst aboard and loved it so very much .
The ship would publish letters from them or the organization or childrens home, that represented them thanking us so very much for a lovely day onboard for them, the truth be kbown I don;t know who loved it the most us or them lol out it this way if you volunteered for one you would always do another .
I stayed behind after a gig which that fantasic German Group the Scorpions where head lining, I got the autographs and a free tee shirt but missed the coach back to Plymouth .
I was more than a litte plastered at the time and to this day cannot remember how I beat the coach back but I was stood at the coach station in Plymouth when they got back it is still a total blank to this very day as to how I managed that lol

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze all i ever meant was Phylis Diller :LOL: oh yes and Gallagher .But did see Nelson Mandela a long time ago at a hotel and we road down on the same elevator and he stepped on my toe and never even apologized .hmmm how rude and told him so and I was wearing sandals .I knew who he was because there was a big hoop de doo about him being there and security was up graded .He was headed for the ball room for some fancy party ,I was just lost :razz: wrong elevator .I was surprised they did not make me get off when he got on with security .

Ask a Question