just some koi pictures i snapped today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your last picture above is obviously either when you bought these fish, or you put them in a tub for pictures. That's the best way to get really good pics! Everyone should remember to photograph BEFORE they put fish into their ponds. :) Also, it helps to remember what the fish looked like when first purchased, because so many of them change or lose colors.
I love the largest fish in the last picture. Do you know what it is called? And, I agree with Todd, that first pic us so cool how the water is spouting, not sure from what, but that fish with mouth open looks ready to inhale it, or like it's spitting it out. The fish that I'll call an Asagi, with shiny scales (Gin Rin, perhaps?!) and red across the head and red on the belly (5th picture from the bottom) is really pretty, too. Thanks so much for sharing your pics! I got my pond "opened up" couple of days ago with the bubbler, and hoping all the ice will be melted by Saturday, supposed to be sunny and mid 40's, so planning to sit on deck and admire fish. :)

jesseB3

ex-reefer
Reaction score
Your last picture above is obviously either when you bought these fish, or you put them in a tub for pictures. That's the best way to get really good pics! Everyone should remember to photograph BEFORE they put fish into their ponds. :) Also, it helps to remember what the fish looked like when first purchased, because so many of them change or lose colors.

yea this was right before i put them in the pond. i take picture to use as a "reference" for later on.

I love the largest fish in the last picture. Do you know what it is called?

this is just a guess but it ether Doitsu Ochiba or Doitsu. if anyone else can put a name to it that knows more then me(shouldnt be hard) please chime in.

The fish that I'll call an Asagi, with shiny scales (Gin Rin, perhaps?!) and red across the head and red on the belly (5th picture from the bottom) is really pretty, too. :)

that is a Gin Rin Asagi, on of my favs too. heck there all my favorites!! i did have one that didnt make it to from this group, it was a blue ridge Asagi Doitsu butterfly or something alone those lines. he was very stressed and couldnt handle the move and from what im told this koi is a weaker one. here is a picture of one(not mine but very close)
http://www.blueridgekoi.com/photo-galleryPopUp.php?image=images/ponds/174.jpg
the one on the right

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Ok, I'm learning as I go on the fish identification, and trying and being wrong is one way for me to learn more. I think the picture in the website from Blue Ridge on the right is possibly a Shusui. It's an extremely beautiful fish! My description of Shusui that I have in my "cheat sheet" (which, BTW, I refer to all the time, and always have open for a reference) says: "Neatly arranged line of dark blue scales along the dorsal line on a pale blue skin. Head should be light blue and have red on the cheeks. The abdomen is bright orange or red like the Asagi." The Asagi description is: "Blue-gray color, net-like pattern (eash scale edged in white, thus easily detected pattern), sometimes red on underside."
My sister has a koi that is really uniquely marked, I called it a Shusui, but she was told it was a "blue" koi. I beg to differ, but I think she has people trying to sell her koi at high prices, that are not what they tell her they are. Here it is:
Susies koi.jpg
I think I had one or two others on the forum identify it as closer to Shusui than any other type/color. It's just far more black than blue, like the descriptions, although she calls him "Little Boy Blue". They told her it was a "blue fish, and has the possibility of throwing all the colors of koi, the only color of fish that can do that." I think that's hogwash, but what do I know. LOL Not much, but I'm working on it. :)
Also, on my cheat sheet, Doitsu is "scale-less or mirror" so that fish I liked looks like it IS Doitsu. Ochiba means "brown color", which it looks white to me. I bought a couple Ochiba's, one is Doitsu, the other has scales. They are really not that pretty, but different for sure. Not sure yet I will like them, but they both have white side fins and tail, so that should stand out in the pond this summer. We shall see!

jesseB3

ex-reefer
Reaction score
Ok, I'm learning as I go on the fish identification, and trying and being wrong is one way for me to learn more. I think the picture in the website from Blue Ridge on the right is possibly a Shusui. It's an extremely beautiful fish! My description of Shusui that I have in my "cheat sheet" (which, BTW, I refer to all the time, and always have open for a reference) says: "Neatly arranged line of dark blue scales along the dorsal line on a pale blue skin. Head should be light blue and have red on the cheeks. The abdomen is bright orange or red like the Asagi." The Asagi description is: "Blue-gray color, net-like pattern (eash scale edged in white, thus easily detected pattern), sometimes red on underside."
My sister has a koi that is really uniquely marked, I called it a Shusui, but she was told it was a "blue" koi. I beg to differ, but I think she has people trying to sell her koi at high prices, that are not what they tell her they are. Here it is:
View attachment 40644
I think I had one or two others on the forum identify it as closer to Shusui than any other type/color. It's just far more black than blue, like the descriptions, although she calls him "Little Boy Blue". They told her it was a "blue fish, and has the possibility of throwing all the colors of koi, the only color of fish that can do that." I think that's hogwash, but what do I know. LOL Not much, but I'm working on it. :)
Also, on my cheat sheet, Doitsu is "scale-less or mirror" so that fish I liked looks like it IS Doitsu. Ochiba means "brown color", which it looks white to me. I bought a couple Ochiba's, one is Doitsu, the other has scales. They are really not that pretty, but different for sure. Not sure yet I will like them, but they both have white side fins and tail, so that should stand out in the pond this summer. We shall see!

im stil learning the names too, and i found that "Ochiba" can be brown to golden colored. i think the one i called Doitsu Ochiba is one of those fish that really doesnt fall into any catogory more then Doitsu because the color pattern is so unique.Ether way i got a killer deal on all of them from a local who was thinning out his 10,000 gal pond. With such a nice contrast of colors i just could let him pass me by.

Doitsu Ochiba Shigure
blue gray with brown to gold markings. This variety is mostly just called Ochiba for short and you will also see it printed as Ochibashigure. It means "autumn leaves on water".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, you are so correct, but the Shigure I think is the blue gray coloring, and Ochiba is the brown to gold markings. Here's what I bought, with the name "Doitsu Ochiba Shigure" - you can see the goldish markings on his belly on the sides:
5 in Doitsu Ochiba Shigure 2.jpg
and this one they called simply Doitsu Ochiba:
5 in Doitsu Ochiba NDK Dec 2011.jpg
Actually, now that I look at both of them, they both have the golden coloring on their undersides, so probably both would be considered Shigure. Anyhow, thought you would enjoy the pics. Obviously, these were when I was buying them, taken with professional camera in clean tub. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seen him do that before CE and think it is just that he needs new glasses when looking for underline button :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
had to give it a try to see what happens. I think he must have meant to hit the underline U next to the S and his finger went wild on him!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm jealous of anyone who has room for a pond large enough that you cannot see the bottom! I feel bad for not being able to give my fish more space than they have, but you don't have much choice when you live in town.

I really love the looks of your butterfly koi. I got a few last year, and hope their fins will really start showing this year or next year.

Reaction score
OMG, your koi are amazing. I wish I could feed mine, but it's still too cold where I live. Thank you for sharing!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
line dancing huh .They are nice koi and you really got some great pics too

Ask a Question