KH level

Reaction score
I've recently starting testing my water and have a question about this morning's KH level. Last time I checked *about a week ago* the it took 12 drops to turn to yellow putting it at 214.8. This morning it took 15 drops to turn it to yellow and the chart only goes up to 12 drops to give a level. The paperwork says 200-400ppm is fine for goldfish so does that mean this mornings level is fine? PH is same as it has been which is a royal blue, PH High looks to be slightly lighter than 8.4 but not a 8.2. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I wouldnt worry to much about my kh at 15 drops
Im trying to keep my ponds between 12 and 14 drops kh & gh

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your at about 269ppm well with in a good range
its only too many drops if you want it at 12

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
I've recently starting testing my water and have a question about this morning's KH level. Last time I checked *about a week ago* the it took 12 drops to turn to yellow putting it at 214.8. This morning it took 15 drops to turn it to yellow and the 1) chart only goes up to 12 drops to give a level. The paperwork says 200-400ppm is fine for goldfish so does that mean this mornings level is fine? PH is same as it has been which is a royal blue, PH High looks to be slightly lighter than 8.4 but not a 8.2. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0.
Yep, Dr.Case got ya covered.

1) Just multiply the number of drops by 17.9 or 17.848 or 18 ... (just choose one ;) ... it seems like everyone uses a different coefficient) and then you'll know your KH's ppm. SO, for 15 drops * 17.9 = 268.5 ppm KH.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I struggle to keep mine at 100, 5 to 6 drops. Our well water takes 1 drop.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. Knowing the consistency in the levels is all that matters is helpful. The baking soda makes sense and is what we use in our pool when necessary. I don't have any koi and I think the goldfish can take a high level than they can if I remember correctly. I love koi but since I've lost some fish to an egret, I'd hate to lose a much larger investment. I recently lost another fish but we think to a predator on four legs so we decided to turn off the lights on the pond at night and see if that works.

Reaction score
Thanks for the calculation Charles...knowing where the number is at when I test is awesome and knowing I don't really have to worry unless it fluctuates is awesome as well.
crsublette said:
Yep, Dr.Case got ya covered.

1) Just multiply the number of drops by 17.9 or 17.848 or 18 ... (just choose one ;) ... it seems like everyone uses a different coefficient) and then you'll know your KH's ppm. SO, for 15 drops * 17.9 = 268.5 ppm KH.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
Thanks for the calculation Charles...knowing where the number is at when I test is awesome and knowing I don't really have to worry unless it fluctuates is awesome as well.
Your welcome!

If your tap water is quite alkaline, that is high KH, then "topping off" the pond due to evaporation might be all you need to replenish your KH value. When KH value is up to 269+ (15 drops), then it really takes alot of plant decay, decomposition, heavy feeding, high fish density, or a big rain flood to make a noticeable dent to lower a 269+ KH, that is if continually "topping off" with an alkaline tap water. So, you might not have to use any type of bicarbonate product (such as baking soda) at all if your tap water is quite alkaline and might only have to test your KH once a month.

Also, generally, if your tap water is very alkaline, then likely there might be a higher presence of other minerals, such as calcium, in the tap water. So, if your tap water is quite alkaline (high KH), then just keep the pond "topped off" due to evaporation and occasional small water changes will be all you need to keep your KH and minerals replenished and pH stabilized.

Generally, folk with alkaline (high KH) and hard (high minerals along with calcium) have a much easier time to have a stable pH. Folk with more acidic (low KH) and soft (low minerals) or have a high fish density with alot of feeding have a much tougher time maintaining a stable pH. Folk with acidic, soft water might just have a tough time keeping their KH above 3~5 degrees (or drops) of KH due to their water source being more acidic and soft and due to a high frequency of rain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
crsublette said:
. Folk with more acidic (low KH) and soft (low minerals) or have a high fish density with alot of feeding have a much tougher time maintaining a stable pH. Folk with acidic, soft water might just have a tough time keeping their KH above 3~5 degrees (or drops) of KH due to their water source being more acidic and soft and due to a high frequency of rain.
My pond exactly! except the high fish load. Bags bags of oyster shells helps keep it a little up in hardness

Ask a Question