Koi or goldfish?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your pond size is fine for that many goldfish, especially since the majority are small. As long as you have proper filtration be it plants or an actual filter.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes I have quite a good filter with UV light the disperses water into the pond by we have two small waterfalls. Plants on the other hand I don’t have a lot of. I do have some lilly pads but I have not had good luck with Pond plants so far. It’s funny, I am actually The landscaper and can grow pretty much anything but apparently not pond plants LOL. Not sure if you can see it in some of the pictures but I have a really weird plant weed thing that grows up from the bottom. Looks like seaweed. It pulls out quite easily with a small root system but it grows like crazy and I’m not sure if it’s good for the fish or bad for the fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Goldfish and koi are really different creatures when it comes to how many you can have in a pond - the biomass of a koi (and the resulting waste they create) is incrementally larger than a goldfish. You're fine with that many Goldies in your pond !

I'm not sure what you plant is that's growing in the pond, but if it's been there this long you can assume it's fine for the fish. Just don't let it overtake the pond and you'll be fine!

Lilies like it warm and sunny for the most part - there are a few that will bloom in low sunlight, but for the most part they want sunshine. What kind of exposure do you have for your pond? And there are TONS of other pond plants you can try other than lilies if you find those don't do well in your pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Awesome thanks!. My pond is south facing so it gets plenty of sun I do find in the hot summers do you like to go to the deeper water because it’s probably a little bit cooler. When we bought the house they had massive maple trees planted all over the edge of the pond. They were so big I thought the roots were gonna puncture the liner so I remove those trees and relandscaped around it. I’ll send a picture to show what it looks like now

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here’s A couple pictures of when I first landscaped it and the second picture of all the plants in mature growth

Attachments

• 3AC067AE-53B3-47BC-BFE2-2256304AF7D7.jpeg
    3AC067AE-53B3-47BC-BFE2-2256304AF7D7.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 133
  • C1EBD7BA-7FE1-479B-B8CE-46AC25EBBB9E.jpeg
    C1EBD7BA-7FE1-479B-B8CE-46AC25EBBB9E.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 147

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very pretty! I quit feeding in the summer, that way they inhale some of the eggs they drop. Helps keep the population under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I wondered why I saw Japanese Maple leaves in the pond but no tree in the landscaping around it. Are those from before you cut down the trees, or is the plant you have growing in there growing maple-shaped leaves? The trees probably provided it with some helpful shade. You will have to be more aware of the temperature and algae growth with the additional sun after cutting down shading trees.

L

Lin

Not all Koi have barbels. Take a closer look at the mouth area. Koi have a lower mouth because they are such big bottom feeders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question