Koi too big for pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That's a whole lot of fish for 900 gallons. It's always a matter of debate as to "inch of fish per 10 gallons" or "pound of fish per 10 gallons" or whatever, but you never hear anyone say "wow! I have way too much water for the number of fish I have!" ;)

The common theme seems to be "everything was great for X number of years, and then all of a sudden all my fish got sick and died". You reach a tipping point where it's just too much for the pond to handle and it happens often without any warning at all.

I would start trying to find good homes for your beautiful fish and then convert to a goldfish pond... OR you could expand your pond... JUST AN IDEA! :sneaky:

5 years ago when hub built the pond for me , we had about 10/15 goldfish from the previous goldfish pond that's the sunken circle in the ground part of this one ... we bought 6 > 4/6 inch koi ... 1 died , 5 grew .. 2 yrs - we removed all the goldfish .. 1 koi vanished one night 2 years ago ... so it's just been these 4 for a long time ... Going to have to slowly work the idea of finding them new homes to hubby , I joke with him all the time ... It is my koi pond buy his fish :) ....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So how do I go about finding these new homes

You can check with local pond stores, if you have any, and see if they will help with re-homing. They may know pond owners with large ponds who will adopt them. Or they may allow you to advertise them to sell or give away to a good home. Some people also have success on Craigslist. I wouldn't expect to get much money for them - it's more likely you'll find someone willing to take them off your hands for free.

Maybe talking "larger pond" will help convince your husband... or perhaps he will love the idea and you'll find yourself with plenty of room for your koi! Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Call one of the pond landscaping companies and see if they know anyone who wants a big koi.

You could sell on ebay.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You might be surprised at the amount of $$ people will pay for a larger koi. I have sold some of mine for a good amount and have had big offers for a couple of my largest fish that I wont part with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you don't mind me asking....Are they actually two foot long? Reason I ask is 'If' you've overestimated their size, things may be 'slightly' in their favour :) don't take their tails into account when giving fishy measurements, some ppl not aware of this, it's just their body length. Put a ruler on the ledge and wait till they level up with it. I know, it's easy to over estimate the size of things!

Ask a Question