addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog filter has a ton of water surface, that amount of moving water getting chilled water falling back into the pond, would make the pond way to cold. I built mine knowing I was shutting it down every winter. I like the break and the fish do just fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
@teeemkay I was outside yesterday filling the pond too - I think the combination of the sudden cold snap caused a lot of evaporation and then the ice forming "consumed" a lot of the moving water. My husband happened to look out and realized he couldn't see water moving under the ice. Luckily we have learned to keep a hose that's just long enough to reach from the spigot to the pond in the basement to keep it warm and pliable for just these kinds of emergencies! I'm just glad we were home to catch it. It's not fun to work outside on a day like yesterday, but at least it was sunny... or that's what I kept telling myself anyway!

View attachment 107372

Maybe that's what happened. I took the hose outside earlier today and ran some water into the pond for about 5-10 minutes and it made all the difference--the water level at the skimmer box went up at least 2 inches in just that short time. I don't remember this happening in winters past. I had also put water in the pond last Friday to avoid any such problems. I didn't notice any ice jams/etc. anywhere or any spots where water might have been overflowing from a blocked area. I guess every winter is different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Here's what the falls looked like yesterday. We have always left the falls on 365 days a year per the guidance of the previous owner--he said all he ever did was use a de-icer by the skimmer box when things got really cold, which is what we've been doing each winter.
IMG_6794[1776].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had commented to my husband just a few days before Christmas how odd it was that the pond had yet to ice over this year and then literally overnight we had not just ice, but thick ice. I should watch what I talk about!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
We had a little bit of ice on the pond when we got that cold snap in November. It was a good test for the de-icers, so I thought we were good to go when we hit the deep freeze. It seems like we don't take on ice until air temperatures stay steady in the low 20s.

It's so quiet outside right now with the water muffled beneath the ice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's so quiet outside right now with the water muffled beneath the ice.

I know! I love to go stand quietly by the pond and listen to the water move. This is when I wish I had an underwater camera set up so I could see what my fish are doing under the ice and snow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Here in Canada I've been burned too many times with leaving the pump running (cracked pvc and nearly empty pond) I have always just used and aquarium bubbler and air stone with a silicone hose which leaves a nice opening in all but the coldest days of winter. But last year I added the pond breather as well because my Koi are getting bigger and i wanted more peace of mind. I always take my pump out because those suckers are pricey and mine is pretty easy to take out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I know! I love to go stand quietly by the pond and listen to the water move. This is when I wish I had an underwater camera set up so I could see what my fish are doing under the ice and snow.
They're in hover mode. LOL When I look in the water by the de-icer hole, I can see the koi's tails--they are hiding under the flagstone slab. They really don't move much when it gets this cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think another factor to consider when deciding to turn off / on, water falls, is the height of the water fall. Ours is pretty high, for our pond size, running over a single granite slab, so I think it's crashing into the pond, would cause a lot of surface disruption and make the water cold. This in only my opinion, not science ;)

Our pond is covered, with aerator running 4 stones about 10 inches into the water......going to plug in the Pondbreather today, as it's going down to zero in a couple days!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I plugged in my 100 watt heaters today and ran the wiring for underwater cameras and lights thru the center. Plugged in both pond breathers and neither one worked! Brought them in, cleaned pumps and tubing and now back in service! Had a line come off a pump while I was rearranging things and when I went to repair it, I dropped the pump! Noticed the wiring going in to the pump was exposed so shut it down. Drains on stock tanks are frozen so I can't drain them. hoping they don't crack . /going to shut other pond down tomorrow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is when I wish I had an underwater camera set up so I could see what my fish are doing under the ice and snow.
I filmed them for years, the problem is the lens gets covered by algae unless you can clean it the view is real murky. The fish just hang out barely moving. Every now and then one will move and eat a bit. And it is dark.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here's what the falls looked like yesterday. We have always left the falls on 365 days a year per the guidance of the previous owner--he said all he ever did was use a de-icer by the skimmer box when things got really cold, which is what we've been doing each winter. View attachment 107383

a very nice display ,, love that running water..

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So far second winter with my floating insulated box with a 25w lightbulb is doing great. This morning it was -3 and under the lid is still liquid. Probably 4-6" of ice everywhere else.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tried to find an answer but no luck.
I do not run my pump (little giant) over the winter. It is in about 2.5' of water. I am thinking of just leaving it UNPLUGGED in the pond over the winter. I usually take it our and put it in a bucket full of water.
Anyone just keep their pump in the pond over the winter? Did it cause damage?
I have a Laguna pump and filter system for over seven years and left it in the skimmer w/ power off every winter season and had no problems. The pump is about 2' below grade. I live in St Louis.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't see any reason why a pump couldn't be left submerged in the pond. They used to recommend that pumps be stored in a bucket of water, but we were told that is not such a big deal anymore. Don't ask me why - no mechanical skills here!

Ask a Question