Leaving pump in pond over the winter

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by pond new1, Nov 1, 2017.

1. pond new1

Lisak1

I know! I love to go stand quietly by the pond and listen to the water move. This is when I wish I had an underwater camera set up so I could see what my fish are doing under the ice and snow.

Lisak1, Dec 29, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. pond new1

BlueOrca

Here in Canada I've been burned too many times with leaving the pump running (cracked pvc and nearly empty pond) I have always just used and aquarium bubbler and air stone with a silicone hose which leaves a nice opening in all but the coldest days of winter. But last year I added the pond breather as well because my Koi are getting bigger and i wanted more peace of mind. I always take my pump out because those suckers are pricey and mine is pretty easy to take out.

BlueOrca, Dec 29, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. pond new1

teeemkay

They're in hover mode. LOL When I look in the water by the de-icer hole, I can see the koi's tails--they are hiding under the flagstone slab. They really don't move much when it gets this cold.

teeemkay, Dec 29, 2017
  4. pond new1

Tula

I think another factor to consider when deciding to turn off / on, water falls, is the height of the water fall. Ours is pretty high, for our pond size, running over a single granite slab, so I think it's crashing into the pond, would cause a lot of surface disruption and make the water cold. This in only my opinion, not science ;)

Our pond is covered, with aerator running 4 stones about 10 inches into the water......going to plug in the Pondbreather today, as it's going down to zero in a couple days!

Tula, Dec 29, 2017
  5. pond new1

mrsclem mrsclem

I plugged in my 100 watt heaters today and ran the wiring for underwater cameras and lights thru the center. Plugged in both pond breathers and neither one worked! Brought them in, cleaned pumps and tubing and now back in service! Had a line come off a pump while I was rearranging things and when I went to repair it, I dropped the pump! Noticed the wiring going in to the pump was exposed so shut it down. Drains on stock tanks are frozen so I can't drain them. hoping they don't crack . /going to shut other pond down tomorrow.

mrsclem, Dec 29, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  6. pond new1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I filmed them for years, the problem is the lens gets covered by algae unless you can clean it the view is real murky. The fish just hang out barely moving. Every now and then one will move and eat a bit. And it is dark.

addy1, Dec 30, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  7. pond new1

PondMutt

a very nice display ,, love that running water..

PondMutt, Jan 2, 2018
    teeemkay likes this.
  8. pond new1

Patfish Ignore the mask and cape

So far second winter with my floating insulated box with a 25w lightbulb is doing great. This morning it was -3 and under the lid is still liquid. Probably 4-6" of ice everywhere else.

Patfish, Jan 2, 2018
  9. pond new1

Austin

I have a Laguna pump and filter system for over seven years and left it in the skimmer w/ power off every winter season and had no problems. The pump is about 2' below grade. I live in St Louis.

Austin, Jan 2, 2018
  10. pond new1

Lisak1

I don't see any reason why a pump couldn't be left submerged in the pond. They used to recommend that pumps be stored in a bucket of water, but we were told that is not such a big deal anymore. Don't ask me why - no mechanical skills here!

Lisak1, Jan 2, 2018
  11. pond new1

Angel

so seals etc don't dry out.

Angel, Jan 2, 2018
  12. pond new1

Angel

I leave my pumps in all year. using them or not. only lost 1 pump in 8 years but it was cheap and got 4 years out of it.

Angel, Jan 2, 2018
  13. pond new1

Lisak1

That's it! We were told seals drying out isn't a problem anymore by the manufacturer of our pump.

Lisak1, Jan 2, 2018
  14. pond new1

Angel

i rather be safe then sorry. leave it in or bucket.

Angel, Jan 2, 2018
  15. pond new1

Lisak1

I hear you - there's certainly no harm in storing it in water. We just happened to ask and were told it's not a requirement.

Lisak1, Jan 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question