mallard duck

Reaction score
My husband brought home two baby mallard ducks to our pond this year. One died the first night we had them. The other stayed around for a long while. We finally had to find it a bigger pond with other ducks, because she kept flying onto our neighbors roof. I was afraid she would land in the road one day. It was an interesting expierence raising a duck but i would not do it again. Only because i was afraid that come winter she wouldn't fly away.

Reaction score
I might be mistaken here, but I don't think ducks or any migrating birds will fly away without a parent to teach them this idea. My understanding is that the migration urge and route are taught not inherited.

Reaction score
I don't know, if ducks always fly south for the winter I wonder if she wouldn't have tried to find other ducks to fly with. Maybe if she was used to being fed she could have been given to a wild life preserve. Personally, I have no experience with ducks except at the park in town.

Reaction score
Awww.... you'd have to take the duck inside and keep it warm :) I remember watching a show about orphaned geese who had to be taught to fly by their human 'mother.' Probably the same with ducks.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments. As for the duck being taught to fly, she had already learned to do that by the time we took her to the other pond. Should state that the pond we took her to was a big one that had other ducks in it. As for learning how to fend for herself when it comes to eating. When we had her we did feed her, but you would not believe all the other things that she ate on her own. From plant life to bugs. Where we took her she should have no problem with finding things to eat.
You all have a great day.

Reaction score
Having a duck would be great but wouldn't they also bring illnesses to the pond?

Reaction score
Migratory birds will always return to the same place year after year. You'll get to enjoy them during their seasonal stay. As for orphaned birds, they do have to be taught to migrate. I don't know what malfunctions to keep them from doing it, but it's not pleasant. Once they don't migrate, neither do their off spring. We have a huge problem with Canadian geese, and we are in Alabama.

Reaction score
I've always wanted ducks, but I heard they really dirty up the pond. Does anyone know if this is true?

Reaction score
Yes, they do dirty a pond alot. We were constantly cleaning it. they will also go after your fish. I gotta admit it was kinda funny when he would dive for the fish.

Reaction score
And keep in mind that once ducks start coming around, you are stuck with them. Next year it will be them and their off spring and so on and so on. If you have a large pond (like a pasture pond) then they are lots of fun. I wouldn't encourage them to stay around a decorative pond, thouh.

Reaction score
Problem with Canadian geese in Alabama? Wow...that's crazy! I live in Canada and love the migrating of the birds that happens here each spring and winter. It's amazing to watch them come in and go out. What are ya'll doing about it in Alabama?
There was a television movie once about a girl who had all these Canadian geese and she and her dad taught them to fly and flew with them to Florida.

Reaction score
Well, the local government posted signs about fines for feeding the geese and the local people ignore the signs and feed the geese. Basically, they are just ignoring the problem and letting it continue to grow.

I know the movie. It's a great movie and it's based on a true story. None of that going on down here, though.

Ask a Question