Mr Mallard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well the ducks are active already this year. Males are chasing each other. They have heard I have the best cracked corn in town :) We had 14 here a few days ago. Yesterday we had 2-6 depending on the time. One pair is the calmest of all of them. This is the male of the calm pair.

Mallard Duck by A & R Photography, on Flickr

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am expecting "my" ducks to return soon. Typically they don't show up until April, but last year we had warmer weather and they showed up in March. This year, with the warmest February on record, they could appear any day now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
do they eat your fish? I'm thinking about getting ducks (instead of chicken) and let them use the pond. But I dont want my pond to be a wrack or they eat my fish..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am expecting "my" ducks to return soon. Typically they don't show up until April, but last year we had warmer weather and they showed up in March. This year, with the warmest February on record, they could appear any day now.
Same here, I only have 2 a female and a male, they comeback every year around April

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I n
do they eat your fish? I'm thinking about getting ducks (instead of chicken) and let them use the pond. But I dont want my pond to be a wrack or they eat my fish..
I never seen them eat fish or frogs. They can eat them. I feed cracked corn so that keeps them happy. They do nibble on the plant life.

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've always chased the ducks out because in a matter of minutes they root around in the plants, turn the water cloudy, and leave giant squirts on the shore rocks. I wonder how others tolerate them so easily. The lady around the corner that has a similar pond always has a pair living in her pond. No fowl evidence of destruction there that I can see. ;)

Ask a Question