addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would live to have ducks visit. But darn heron net makes it impossible.
Beautiful picture!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
We had a pair that visited our pond 3 years in a row, they had 19 ducklings one year. While learning to fly about half of them crashed into our deck and 4 or 5 ended up inside the house, going through the open screen door. The dogs got pretty tolerant about them outside, but when they went inside they went crazy, which didn't help us getting them wrangled up.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ducks can be pretty cool to look at and see them swim in your pond, but they probably poo there too...
I have Canadian Geese that want to land on my ponds every spring. They fly and honk directly overhead of my ponds, but cannot land cause I have too many things hanging from the trees to keep the bad blue herons away. It works good when you hang pretty things above the ponds from the trees to the house, and the lines cross and block big birds from landing as they have big wing spans. This method works very well and the Japanese use similar methods. Not sure if it will work with ducks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
This method works very well and the Japanese use similar methods. Not sure if it will work with ducks.
The ducks at our pond came in pretty hot, about halfway between a space shuttle landing and a chubby kid doing a cannonball off the 10m board. They'd come in out of the south, pull a hard left between an Elm and an Ash tree to line up on the long dimension, then hit the water at a 30 degree angle, I'm not sure they'd even see the dangly things in time.

Ask a Question