Medical Billing Victory!?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
What if you're an illegal alien, who pays then?
THe same... if they don't qualify for Medicaid or your local charity insurance (by your local tax dollars) eventually it gets written off (full bill like $120,000) not a small bargain bill. When it gets written off, that's tax dollars lost that could have fed the federal government.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
East side seirra's 4500' high desert. Gets to 20's some teens.
Country
United States
THe same... if they don't qualify for Medicaid or your local charity insurance (by your local tax dollars) eventually it gets written off (full bill like $120,000) not a small bargain bill. When it gets written off, that's tax dollars lost that could have fed the federal government.
Grrrr, Canadians!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had six stitches put in my hand in the local walk in care facility. Got a "bill" for $6000. My insurance paid $540, I paid $60 and the rest went away. Therein lies part of the problem. If I didn't have insurance, the cost to me would be the full $6k, which is a chunk of change. $600 is much more do-able for the average person. So why can't someone without insurance (or self insured) get the same negotiated rate that the insurance companies get?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I had six stitches put in my hand in the local walk in care facility. Got a "bill" for $6000. My insurance paid $540, I paid $60 and the rest went away. Therein lies part of the problem. If I didn't have insurance, the cost to me would be the full $6k, which is a chunk of change. $600 is much more do-able for the average person. So why can't someone without insurance (or self insured) get the same negotiated rate that the insurance companies get?
By law the bill has to be the same to everyone. The bill needs to be big to get a big tax write off to compensate for the loss from those uninsured that didn't pay the bill. So the insurance forces them to take a lower payment because they can pressure the hospitals to move paying patients elsewhere. So you are paying for those who are not insured and not paying.

Reaction score
What if you're an illegal alien, who pays then?
You pay! Unless of course you don't pay taxes like 50% of the population. One way or another everyone gets taken care of that's the myth that there are so many uninsured. It would be nice if you could take a tax deduction for unknown charitable contributions.

Reaction score
Insurance is the problem. Without it hospitals and drug companies couldn't charge as much because no one could afford to pay.The same goes for college tuition. Without government backed student loans colleges would be empty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
East side seirra's 4500' high desert. Gets to 20's some teens.
Country
United States
By law the bill has to be the same to everyone. The bill needs to be big to get a big tax write off to compensate for the loss from those uninsured that didn't pay the bill. So the insurance forces them to take a lower payment because they can pressure the hospitals to move paying patients elsewhere. So you are paying for those who are not insured and not paying.
Who dreamt up this system?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wncranger

Latest Threads