medifin

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i put medifin in the pond a couple of days ago as i had a fish with a tiny white spot on his tail fin early in the year ... its all ok now, but it said to use as a preventative to use again in the autumn ..so i added correct doze ... next day i done my water test ... and both my nitrate and nitrate have gone up ..i test this ever week and its always been low my question is could it be the medifin giving me a false reading or do i have problems ?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes i did and it was the same ... but the week before i put in the medifin it was spot on ... also i have no amonia so i cant understand why the others are high ...they have gone up to .25 ...i done a 20 per cent water change this morning and yesterday morning and tested water both times ... and it stayed the same ...my water is a slight green as i turned uv light off as directed on medifin instructions, could this be why they have gone up so much ?

Reaction score
.25 isn't a terrible amount...it's pretty negligible, but I think you should just keep up with the waterchanges. Try another 25-30% water change. But, of course, all these changes are ridding your pond of medifin then.

I'm not sure what that product is. What is it supposed to do?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
will do another water change tomorrow and see how it goes ... medifin treats and prevents fish from getting parasites fungas and disease it is meant to be good to add in the autumn to help the fish in the winter

Reaction score
ok. so after all these water changes, you've basically rid yourself of the medifin in the water. So, essentially it is no longer in your pond. LOL! I understand, it's a preventative. So there was nothing wrong with your pond at the moment, you just added it to ward off any impending evils....

I do something similar, but it's with medicated foods. I'm not sure if you have the jungle brand in the UK. But they make one food for bacteria and one for parasites. 3 times a year I feed this specific food for 3 days straight (no other food) as a preventative as well. Have been doing this for a few years and haven't gotten either of the two evils. The fish don't love the food as much as they love their regular daily food, but they eat it because they are hungry.

I would think, you're probably not using this medifin again based on your current experience. LOL!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
umm no i wont be using it again .... but as a warning to others it does kind of mess up your pond, another water change this morning and its starting to go back to normal now, i will have a look and see if there is any medicated food here in the uk thank you for your help koikeeper

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
microbelift also makes medicated foods...its a good idea to feed the antibiotic foods in the early spring when your fish are stressed from winter,their immune system is weak, and parasitic activity is up. 64* to 68* is the water temp for the highest parasitic activity. (or so ive read)

Ask a Question