Potting soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
So…my pond does not have soil in the bottom and I can’t put soil in because the lilies have to come out in winter and be overwintered in my cold room. They are in pots. Using Aquascape Pond Medium and it has gotten crazy expensive this year and am wondering if anyone has ideas for me. Thanks.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I use some garden soil, mine has some clay in it, topped with fuller's earth AKA kitty litter, oil dri, etc. Osmocote fertilizer in the bottom with the soil. Some use all kitty litter with the fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Thank you for the speedy reply! Now that I have bought the AquaScape I will mix some with the kitty litter to “stretch it”! I also found the info about plastic oil pans which is also excellent info! Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be it clay or soil, fertilizer tablets every three weeks is a must

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forget that pricey "aquatic soil"! I swapped to the unscented clay kitty litter in a dishpan and it's awesome. I can't get over how fast they grow! Good luck.
20240329_101220.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
So…my pond does not have soil in the bottom and I can’t put soil in because the lilies have to come out in winter and be overwintered in my cold room. They are in pots. Using Aquascape Pond Medium and it has gotten crazy expensive this year and am wondering if anyone has ideas for me. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Thank you all for the help. I promise I will fertilize my lilies every month this year! I have it set as one of my missions! I am in Canada and pond fertilizer tabs are super expensive so when I was in the U.S. this winter I bought a HUGE jar for a crazy price on Amazon. So no lack of fertilizer this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Garden soil works cause lilies they are tough, and honestly you're fertilizing it anyway, so Aquascape Potting Media or this or that doesnt mean much, at the end of the day I think what is most used for lilies is heavy soil. But I think its just regular fertilizer, many people I think just use Osmocote which is far cheaper..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Be it clay or soil, fertilizer tablets every three weeks is a must
ive not fertilized mine at all and they are growing fine, but im in shade so im on thin ice, maybe fertilizer would help it push out more growth.

Ask a Question