Water Lettace

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not necessary unless it keeps floating somewhere that you don't want it or it causes problems, like if it's floating into a skimmer entrance or over a waterfall. Otherwise just toss it in & let it do its thing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it is not behaving in one spot you can make a floating circle out of tubing and tie the ring w/a long piece of fishing line to a rock or stake etc so it won't move.
plant ring 23.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not necessary unless it keeps floating somewhere that you don't want it or it causes problems, like if it's floating into a skimmer entrance or over a waterfall. Otherwise just toss it in & let it do its thing.
It is trying to get in the skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Then go ahead & corral it. Fishing lines, floating tubes, sticks, whatever - depending on your pond & set up, just get creative & make it work for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
It is trying to get in the skimmer
I do have this issue and I don't even have a skimmer. Many of my floating plants like Mare's tail die because they get sucked up by the pump (they end up in rocks starved of light and die). Wonder how people solve them...

Water lettuce's too big of a plant for it to die like that, but i dont have a skimmer.

Reaction score
my typical lettuce/hyacinth problem is giant flotillas of them blocking the skimmer entirely, severely slowing water intake and pump performance. sometime i will make a screen out of whatever material I have handy and block the skimmer inlet with it.

Ask a Question