Mi pawnd rebild tew

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
Oh, I forgot to mention... my pond is starting to cycle back to a tea color again. Looks like I might have another algae bloom trying to happen. (sigh) I've never had this happen in the past - I get the Spring cycle, then the bacteria in the filter catches up, and the water stays clear for the rest of the year. I was really hoping the water had finally balanced out.

If the water is clear and just tinted tea color, it may be leaves on the bottom. Is the bottom clean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The leaves are still growing in here, and haven't had much chance to fall in the pond yet. There's been a bit of other stuff that fell out, but I have been netting stuff off the top every day, and cleaning the little bit of stuff from the bottom around the pumps about once a week.

The water WAS clear at the beginning of the week, but its starting to look murky again. I thought for sure the bacteria in the filters was in full swing, but perhaps not.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Once you get the bottom clean, the tint should start to go away with a few water changes. You can also use activated charcoal to remove it once everything is clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I pulled up the pumps and clearer the bottom, but I still only managed to pull out about a cup of small green bits off the tree. Like I said, I've been keeping the water pretty clean by netting out debris every day. Yesterday I did another water change and bought some more bacteria supplement. It looks slightly clearer today. I guess I'll have to continue the weekly bacteria additions this year, until the plants have time to really grow in, however I'm a bit disappointed that the biofilters do not seem to be helping with the algae.

Meanwhile, my next-largest female goldfish is being chased by the males today. She's only about 4-5" in length, but I was pretty sure she was getting fat with eggs as well... glad to see I'm starting to get an eye for that. With all this activity, I keep hoping I'll see some fry in the water soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
BAD FISHIES!!! A pair of my koi were spawning today, and decided to swim down the river and spray eggs in the little pond. Not that I mind this, as the other fish have been eating all the eggs in the large pond, however these koi were not supposed to be able to GET to the smaller pond! I guess they showed me!

What I don't get is why they stayed there. They were still in the small pond last time I checked this evening, hanging out with all the baby fish. At least when the goldfish were spraying eggs down there, they wandered back to the big pond when they were done.

Its been interesting seeing how all the fish settle in with their choice of ponds. The smaller fish seem more comfortable in the little pond, even though I'll see one wander up to the big pond occasionally, then be back the next day. Logically you would think all the fish would be happy to go into the largest body of water, but instead they separate themselves exactly as I had hoped, which works out great for the chances of new fry to survive.

I hit the pond with another dose of bacteria on Saturday, and the water is clearing again. Yesterday I had the brown foam on the water, assuming its dead algae. I'm starting to see near the bottom again. I think my best chance for algae control is going to be once the moneywort reaches the edge of the water and starts growing into the pond. It grew heavily into the old pond, forming almost a carpet down the edges, and stayed green all year (even surviving solid freezes!). The stuff probably does a great job of dragging particles out of the water, plus it makes great hiding places for newborn fry. I've already seen several bits grown to within inches of the water, so within another month there should be a bit of it submerged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
For the most part, they're doing well. One clump of the green taro died, but the other green and the dark are both putting up leaves. I don't think any of the hibiscus survived. Otherwise the rest are 'trying'... The frenzy of spawning has made it really tough for anything to get its roots solid into the gravel. I saw one of the pickerels floating yesterday, went to replant it, and found eggs all over the roots. Ah well, so now it gets left floating for a week.

The irises and pickerel are probably doing the best overall. The taro has thrown up a couple new leaves, and the thalia is hanging in there but not doing much else. I figure the irises and pickerel have the best chance of surviving the Winter and coming back strong next year, and of course the taro will have to come inside.

I've also been digging up irises from other parts of my yard and filling in beside the waterfall. It's looking a lot better around that area now, but of course this isn't the right time of year to be moving them, so they'll need time to recover. I'll try to get some new pictures one of these days to show you what growth I've been seeing.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the Hibiscus dies completely back, try planting it in a moist but not wet area in the ground and leave it until next year, My biggest plant did that and the next year came back, the will go dormant and I have seen them make it through some freezing. maybe it will make it. Glad to hear most are doing good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My Luna Hibiscus is just now getting sprouts on it. They are a really late blooming plant but that's why I enjoy them cuz when lots of others are done blooming they are going strong.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I try to plant so different things are blooming different times, started out with a plan, well that lasted about two seconds, now just............ that is pretty and cheap ...............plant it lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
pretty? cheap? perennial? I'll take it!

fishin - I don't have any areas that stay damp around my yard. It's either baked in the desert sun, or its planted in the water. Now once I have a good bed of the moneywort growing, then I'll have more options, but for now I have to check everything daily and water as needed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go to lowes shdwdrgn, I haunt their distressed plant shelves. I have been picking up perennial's for 35 cents to 1.00 all that is wrong with them is they need some water. (90% off) Some are root bound, some have just quit blooming so they dump them.
stick in the ground, water, mulch they grow.

And next year they are beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy - interesting idea, I had no idea they had such items available. We have both a Lowes and a Home Depot here in town, guess I'll haunt them both :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lowes has the deals, the hd's here have not had distressed plants shelves. go to the back of the nursery, way back, that is where the shelves usually are. I have found the distressed area in maryland, pa and florida. Cheap prices and gets better closer to the end of year you get. I do end of season shopping to, getting cold people quit planting, plants even cheaper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noelia5838

Latest Threads