Modern styled koi pond and pondless waterfall plans

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I grow mine hostas in my rain exchange. These aren't even in gravel - just shoved between a couple of rocks, in the full sun. They were a couple of extras I had left over when I divided a few. This was just an experiment - one to the left, one to the right. This photo is from late August, when most of our hostas start to look pretty ragged:

IMG_5081.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanks. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this filtration design? The aqautic garden shop owner says he'd also use a UV filter in this setup but in my research that just masks potential problems I'd like to avoid having in the first place.
i dont see any reason why it shouldn't work , i was thinking how the pebbles will behave in shallow water with sun on it , if u have any issue of algae & muck over the stones u can raise them over the water level so they can retain there colour and water passes under it , yes one layer of gravel under it will work like bog and may b u wont need plants even but i was thinking instead of randomly planting them u can create dedicated squares for plants with neat border to suite the structure . u can keep option of uv if u have any algae issue later on , lets see what others think about it .

some thing like these

https://www.gardenista.com/wp-conte..._bluestone-backyard-foras-studio-brooklyn.jpg

http://www.freshdesignpedia.com/wp-...sign-with-gravel-lumentopf-plants-pebbles.jpg

700_bluestone-backyard-foras-studio-brooklyn.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
....and may b u wont need plants even but i was thinking instead of randomly planting them u can create dedicated squares for plants with neat border to suite the structure .

Thanks for that. About the pics, you are suggesting to filter the water through a series of separate planter boxes right? I suppose by running a water supply line between each in a series? Or are you suggesting the boxes would be placed over the mexican beach stones as they appear in the illustration in the first post?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
I'll bet those would make some great root structure for a bog filter. Wouldn't work for my design but I've seen them used in many scenarios and they look great.

I think I'm going to start with gravel filtration and see how that goes (a layer of small 1/2 inch beach pebbles sitting under larger 2-3 inch "appearance" beach pebbles). I want the larger stones to maintain their blue color and texture and the smaller stones below to do all the "work" of keeping the water clean.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I grow mine hostas in my rain exchange. These aren't even in gravel - just shoved between a couple of rocks, in the full sun. They were a couple of extras I had left over when I divided a few. This was just an experiment - one to the left, one to the right. This photo is from late August, when most of our hostas start to look pretty ragged:

View attachment 98903
That is gorgeous Lisak! I might have to try some hostas around the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought a couple off the almost dead rack at lowes the other day .They were 50 cents a piece .Bought some chocolate color daylilies also a dollar a piece .Gotta love the almost dead plants ,they just need love and fertilizer and water and bammm you have pretty .Have you looked at the modern ponds on pinterest vesta

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
Have you looked at the modern ponds on pinterest vesta
Some yes, but I spend more time on Houzz. I prefer their layout and larger images. Although the fact that you can't easily enlarge their images is a pain. I have a browser plugin (Stylebot) in chrome that allows me to reformat houzz.com to better suit my needs when I'm looking for some design inspiration :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used to go on houzz but after the attack from a guy on there about sheds I decided to leave it .I posted no matter what kind of shed you can personalize it to make it yours .I just so happen to build my own and insulate it and drywall it and make my own and the guy was putting prebuilt everything down.Well guess what my house is a modular home built in Tennessee and I know it can do 60 mph down I highway and I saw my house built to my plans .it is 2x6 walls and 2x 10 floor joists on a frame besides.Things have changed these days .I did not want a stick built been there done that .I was working yet in NJ at the plant after it closed and only had a month to get basement done and house set and back up to work for another 5 months .My house in NJ sold sight unseen the day I listed it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about that! Just have to try to ignore some people I guess. I haven't had that experience there, but I'm mainly browsing and asking/answering questions. There are no guardrails on the net so that type person could be anywhere. Best not fed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why I left ,geeze a shed is a shed it is what you make it into .Never understood rude people .Have you tried HGTV and DIY network .com they have some great pics and when you google modern design ponds you get a lot of pics also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Vesta - I'm in Georgia. Red clay rules! (Well, actually, it's horrible for gardening, but really great for digging a pond with nice solid walls and shelves and such. We have these awful clay boulder-things that almost drove me to drink -- but once I figured out how to get them out, the clay was actually ideal. My walls had a bit of slope to them -- not straight verticals. But I imagine you will probably have good luck just carving your shape and using underlayment and liner. I'm no expert by any means, but wanted to share that the red clay in the south is good for pond diggers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
Thanks! I was relieved when the pond pro told me it would be ok without support blocks under the liner. The time I saved with that was ate up demo'ing one of those boulders you mention - mine was a huge sandstone boulder about 2 foot tall that is right in the corner of the pond.

18010612_1406566989406155_6241549063131896178_n.jpg

18033187_1406566992739488_3819150886031531381_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh wow! It looks like your soil composition is a bit different than mine.
When I ran into the boulders, I did a combo of shooting them with the hose on "jet" setting, and wedging out with a crowbar. The squelch noise it made when the boulders loosened was the sound of victory. Then I filled the hole in as needed with more red clay and smoothed it out. It was almost like making a giant clay pot or sculpture, at times!
IMG_3509.JPG

Ask a Question