Mortified

Reaction score
Country
United States
So sorry to hear this Dave :(

Was the koi in the pond or had it jumped out?

I was under the impression that birds and other critters visiting a pond could carry parasites from one pond to another?

Reaction score
I wonder if they aren't something other then leaches.
I occasionally find leaches in my pond, but then I've transplanted lots of plants from the wild plants directly into my pond with all sorts on wild eggs and bugs I'm sure. Trying to recreate that natural biodiversity that Meyers is going on about. Anyway, they've never been a problem. They won't bother healthy fish, in fact they'll do their best to hide from them to avoid being eaten. They few leaches I have actually seen were caught in my pond filters. I usually squish then and throw them back in the pond and the fish gobble them up.
Sorry about your fish, hope you find out what happened.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry to be the "Grammar Nazi," but it's "leech," not "leach." Leach (v) is what happens when the rain washes (leaches) tannins from wood, causing pond water to turn tea-colored. Sorry, but I couldn't help it!!!! :shy:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry to be the "Grammar Nazi," but it's "leech," not "leach." Leach (v) is what happens when the rain washes (leaches) tannins from wood, causing pond water to turn tea-colored. Sorry, but I couldn't help it!!!! :shy:

Now if you can only teach people the difference between 'there', 'they're' and 'their' or 'your', 'you're' and 'yore'.:confused::confused::confused:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now if you can only teach people the difference between 'there', 'they're' and 'their' or 'your', 'you're' and 'yore'.:confused::confused::confused:
Or kois (plural), or Shubumpkin, or it's vs its, fry vs fries (plural).......and Dave, I am so sorry to have hi-jacked this thread!

@Dave 54 did you take any pictures? I'm curious to see if they're the same kind I find.....or something different. My impression of leeches comes from movies like "African Queen," so when I saw these little things I had in my filter, even though I thought, "LEECH!" my mind kept telling me they were too small to be leeches. Several people on here at the time tried to convince me they were planaria, so now I'm not even sure. Next time I find one, I'll post some pics. Either way, it was a creepy critter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can try a 'leech trap'.
1.) Start with a coffee can with a plastic lid.

2.) Poke holes in the sides of the can with a nail. Holes should be 1/8 to 1/4 inch in size. The nail holes should leave a sharp burr on the inside of the can (approximately 50 holes).

3.) Put about 1/4 cup of raw meat in the can (ground beef, liver, chicken or turkey giblets are recommended).

4.) Put the lid on the can and submerge it completely in your pond. A rock placed on top of the can will prevent it from falling over and will help prevent snapping turtles from tampering with it.

5.) Check the trap a couple of times a week and remove the leeches. Keep the trap in the pond until the leech numbers decrease, or you no longer catch any leeches in the trap.
(Courtesy of www.the pondguy.com)
@Dave 54 Oh, I am so sorry to hear! But I wonder if the fish died of "other" causes, and the leeches found the body afterward?

@Meyer Jordan I didn't have the "recipe," but I was going to suggest something similar, as they are attracted to raw flesh.

I'll occas. find a small leech when I clean filters. I usually don't do anything about them, but I may start now!! I was always of the impression that they were one of those signs of a healty pond ecosystem.

We had our health expert out at 19:00 BST last night , after having looked at the leaches we had taken off the dead koi.
His thoughts on the leaches that in his view they where not from the pond .
We next took out the dead koi and with him we spent a good 15 minutes going over its dead body in great detail and could find non of the tell tail markings that leaches leave after feasting .
We also took in the koi's condition which apart from a few damaged scales and damaged tail [from its stuggles],we could find nothing at all wrong with the koi .
In fact it was in tip top condition ready for the rigures of winter , so an equally mortifiying thought has now hit us, in that anything landing on the pond sets off a feeding frenzy.
We see the same frenzy when feeding our koi pellets or alternate feeds and in it we see koi literally lifted right out of the water.
So looking at the evidence putting everything together with the evidence provided that weve come to the conclusion that more than possibly an insect landed on the pond and the frenzy was activated this koi entred the frey and rather unluckily for it one or two of our largest koi came up under it and acidentally knocked it clear out of the water and over the side o the pond to be found later that morning by Val and I.
But we are going to look at all the evidence because we missed out the leaches , they may just have happened upon the koi and are not from the pond.
So today we are going to take a close look at some of our koi looking for evidence of a leach infestation in the pond, if we cant find any then we have nothing to worry about there , however we are going to have to think of a quick fix for the pond edges .
My thoughts at the moment are on a large length of bungee strap, wrapped around and across the pond.
Any koi being forced upwards in the frenzy would then b e deflected by the strapps an idea we had toyed with before but removed after my incident with the new parasol.
I'll add an update after the tests and let you know what we found and if our conclusions are indeed right .
@Meyer Jordan @Mmathis many thanx for your ideas about a leach trap [plus you had your own ideas about the same suggestion Maggie] , its a great idea and something that is so easy to make [now all I need to do is to is try and get Val to part with one of her old coffee tins], no mean feat :LOL: .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about your Koi, Dave :( Have you thought about setting up a camera for the pond so that you can see what is causing the fish to jump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Got one on the pond Becky being a security camera I'm wondering if its caught what happened or not will have to figure out how to rewind the recoding to see exactly whats been going on with the koi .
However we have to go out and catch one or two other koi prior to us just to check for certain that no leaches are in the pond.
@MitchM the reason I thought it may have been the csae simply because of the leaches found on the body which was the first time weve ever come across them in our garden....

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Got one on the pond Becky being a security camera I'm wondering if its caught what happened or not will have to figure out how to rewind the recoding to see exactly whats been going on with the koi .
However we have to go out and catch one or two other koi prior to us just to check for certain that no leaches are in the pond.
@MitchM the reason I thought it may have been the csae simply because of the leaches found on the body which was the first time weve ever come across them in our garden....

Dave

Are you positive that these were indeed leeches?

Several facts do not jibe with this identification.
1. Parasitic leeches feed on the blood of live animals.
2. Terrestrial leeches require constantly damp conditions.
3. Terrestrial leeches feed exclusively on the blood of mammals.

Photos would help, but at this stage I will have to agree with the person that mentioned Planaria. This is a more logical assessment as planaria are common in both aquatic and terrestrial environs and they feed exclusively on
dead animals.

I know that you are very knowledgeable about Koi, but considering the 'feeding frenzy' that you describe, are you feeding your fish enough? I have never observed (or heard of) Koi pushing each other out of a pond during feeding, spawning..yes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you positive that these were indeed leeches?

Several facts do not jibe with this identification.
1. Parasitic leeches feed on the blood of live animals.
2. Terrestrial leeches require constantly damp conditions.
3. Terrestrial leeches feed exclusively on the blood of mammals.

Photos would help, but at this stage I will have to agree with the person that mentioned Planaria. This is a more logical assessment as planaria are common in both aquatic and terrestrial environs and they feed exclusively on
dead animals.

I know that you are very knowledgeable about Koi, but considering the 'feeding frenzy' that you describe, are you feeding your fish enough? I have never observed (or heard of) Koi pushing each other out of a pond during feeding, spawning..yes.
Thanx for the compliment my friend , our koi get approximately 4 means a day and its always been enough to feed our koi when the dinner bell goes they do not have corners to take the food from our pond being circular thus they tend to chase their pellets around quite a bit [this is what I describe as a feeding frenzy perhaps I was wrong in my choice of words] but the fact remains that the smaller koi can be uplifted by the largest koi weve seen them lifted to within a few inches of the ponds rim so it would be a logical conclusion that they had met their end that way .
Perhaps we sould switch off the air to the bottomdrain bubbler and see what happens i;e less of a chase for them.
Sadly we didnt think of taking photos of these leaches as to the Planaria assesment the koi was indeed dead when we found it so it may well be planaria [terrestrial].
They were all found on the underside of the koi which though dead wasnt long dead in that it was still supple but it would have given them enough time to seek out something recently dead.
I think we need to make a few changes and tweak the system a tad .

Dave

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
As the deceased was a new addition, it's possible he/she was pushed out during a feeding. Question is was there a recent feeding? I thought you discovered this in the AM.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your fish. :( Hoping you do not discover anymore leeches in the pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry for your loss Dave, but I'm curious. Don't you have a fitted net on your pond to keep out predators? And wouldn't this also keep the fish from jumping OUT of the pond?
John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads