Mosquito killers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello

I’m looking for a way to kill mosquito larvae in my zone five unfiltered pond, but I’m afraid to use fish, because I don’t want them to eat amphibian eggs!

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't have any mosquito larvae in my zone 9 unfiltered frog dedicated pond. When I first built it about a year ago I had a lot. I used a mosquito dunk and about two weeks later they were all gone. It is a targeted bacteria which is not supposed to harm amphibians. I am a little skeptical because two days after using it in a 20 gallon tank I had a dead frog. It may just be a coincidence.

The plan was to throw in a dunk after seeing more larvae. However more larvae never appeared and I check about twice a week. Once you see larvae there is still time for the dunks to work before the adults arrive.

Why don't I have larvae now? I don't know for sure. I have pond skaters which are supposed to eat larvae. I also have backswimmers which are supposed to eat larvae too. Or it could be the Florida Blufin Killfish. I was buying some plants from a local guy and we talked about mosquitoes. He told me the Blufin wouldn't eat my tadpoles. I was skeptical but decided to try them out. He gave me about a half dozen to try. I rarely see them. They are small. I have seen a few babies so they must be surviving and breeding.

We finally had some rain after about an eight month dry spell. Now the frogs are croaking! I saw the first of the season eggs today. So far so good, the eggs appear to be undisturbed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you provide water movement (not necessarily filtration), mosquitoes shouldn't lay their eggs; they like stagnant, non-moving water. Or use the dunks as noted above.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I don't have any mosquito larvae in my zone 9 unfiltered frog dedicated pond. When I first built it about a year ago I had a lot. I used a mosquito dunk and about two weeks later they were all gone. It is a targeted bacteria which is not supposed to harm amphibians. I am a little skeptical because two days after using it in a 20 gallon tank I had a dead frog. It may just be a coincidence.

The plan was to throw in a dunk after seeing more larvae. However more larvae never appeared and I check about twice a week. Once you see larvae there is still time for the dunks to work before the adults arrive.

Why don't I have larvae now? I don't know for sure. I have pond skaters which are supposed to eat larvae. I also have backswimmers which are supposed to eat larvae too. Or it could be the Florida Blufin Killfish. I was buying some plants from a local guy and we talked about mosquitoes. He told me the Blufin wouldn't eat my tadpoles. I was skeptical but decided to try them out. He gave me about a half dozen to try. I rarely see them. They are small. I have seen a few babies so they must be surviving and breeding.

We finally had some rain after about an eight month dry spell. Now the frogs are croaking! I saw the first of the season eggs today. So far so good, the eggs appear to be undisturbed.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Agreed about water movement to control mosquitoes. However frogs like quiet, still water.

Ask a Question